Wood for necks

Howdy.  As of late I have been making my 3 stringed fretted guitars using red oak for the neck, and a smaller strip for the fretboard.  If I were to switch out the neck with poplar, while still keeping the oak fretboard would it be strong enough to resist too much bending of the neck? ( I will be fretting it, but since it is slide, it seems like you would need a higher set action at any rate.  Thoughts on if poplar plus oak would be strong enough?  Also, as a side note, how high is the action typically on your fretted 3 stringers?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• any  bad stories  you  hear about  poplar    is usually  from someone  bragging    about    ,   or  selling  their    oak  necks  . ;-) (which ironically   , i've heard  more  horror stories about  ) 

poplar  is  fine  on a 3 stringer ,   more  easy to  work  with  ..  , and   is less neck  heavy  for better  balance  .

an oak  f board would add  a bunch   more  strength  to    it  .  even beyond   needed.

that being said  ..  occasionally ,  there  is a  bad  piece of  wood  in any  pile .

shop   right and  you'll  be alright  with poplar . 

• I use poplar and have no problem with bending. If you had more strings, you might want to use something stronger. On my occasional six string, I use maple.

I build my slide guitars with a 1/4" height. I'm sure you'll get a lot of variations in opinions here. Find what you like and go with it.

Good luck building!
  • Thanks for the input guys. Makes sense.   I had heard early on that poplar is not a way to go, and had avoided it since.

• Poplar and Red Oak are both hardwoods so yes good neck material will not bend on a CBG (-:

• I've made 3-string CBG's out of 1x2 poplar, no fretboard and no bending issues...

This reply was deleted.