Wondering where UK builders get their wood for CBG necks?  All B&Q seem to have is cheap pine and other wood merchants aren't much better.  I could trek out to my nearest sawmill and get some proper hardwood but it's a bit of a distance and I can't help thinking I should be able to get what I need closer to home.

I notice that poplar is mentioned a lot but I've not seen that for sale in the UK, anyone know where I can get a stick of that?

Views: 3258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think you will be able to see the picture I'll try again Mal
Attachments:

cant see any problem using it,,

Mal Chilvers said:

I don't think you will be able to see the picture I'll try again Mal

Hi, regarding wood issue, I have been doing some looking around and these are some of the answers I have for you in the West. In Bristol there is Robbins http://www.robbins.co.uk/pdf/Retail_Pricelist.pdf then in Newport by the docks there is Monmouth Timber http://www.montimber.co.uk/ They both have all the American woods but these are trade outlet so they don't do quater sawn to order, you talk nice to them and look through the planks choose what you want and you may pick up quatersawn by chance at no extra cost and Robert's your Dads brother. For me if I want pale woods that is the way to go but for red or dark woods I think the best way is skip diving, cheap shop furniture or ask a Property Maintenance company if they have any crappy old furniture in their stores to get rid of. Get diving now.

skip diving's the way to go for old wood, or re-cycling center's, furniture maker's are good too, there's one near to me, i get his off-cut's for free,or look on the "freecycle" web site UK,for people giving away free furniture, you'll be surprised what's on offer,  , 

I have these for sale already dressed up so the dirty work is already done.,surplus to requirement!!

beech wood -backs are rounded off like a normal guitar  these inc black walnut fret board.

all they need is finishing off the width is written at the bottom of the wood all approximately  41"

I'm based in stockton about 7 miles from m'boro.

£12 ea.

also got a couple of box's to if interested.300mm x 200mm birch plywood with soft wood sides easy to work with if you require hinges/clasp ,4 corner pieces I can put them on to if required .

£10 box only with hinges etc an extra £4

Attachments:
I highly recommend the eBay seller sherwingroup they have lots of great pieces of quarter sawn and exotic wood, these guys are great and will post out to you. They often photograph and describe the actual piece of wood in the lot you are bidding on too.
All the best from Bill. :D

john mackay, i live in s/ton too, any chance i could pop round and have a look at the neck's, ?

I'm free from next Wednesday afternoon, kids off for Easter, if you can wait that long, just let me know.
Ken

yes  g/hermit add me as friends then I can give you my addy/phone no

Not sure which part of the U.K. Your in, but I used to be in the building game and got oak and mahogany from Selco or Buildbase, if your around the Halesowen, Birmingham area I could give you a few pieces to get started off, gratis of course,
Cheers,
Ken

Hi Ken, If I remember rightly don't you have to have an account to use Selco?

Have you tried walking into a charity furniture shop? I just got myself an oak double wardrobe for £30. 

It's sitting there waiting to me to get my benchsaw :)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->