Wood for neck in UK

Wondering where UK builders get their wood for CBG necks?  All B&Q seem to have is cheap pine and other wood merchants aren't much better.  I could trek out to my nearest sawmill and get some proper hardwood but it's a bit of a distance and I can't help thinking I should be able to get what I need closer to home.

I notice that poplar is mentioned a lot but I've not seen that for sale in the UK, anyone know where I can get a stick of that?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• have you tried double glazing folks? they sometimes get wooden doors ,replacing them with dg doors.

• Google your nearest sawmill/timberyard and go speak to them.

Your head will spin for the same price as a pint in the pub.
    We're talking ebony, mahogany,

Seek and you shall find.

• sawmill's are everywhwere in the northeast of england, NOT,,

• John Boddy isn't far from you in Boroughbridge

• Hate to tell you, MFJ, but the Boddy's site is now just houses - the result of a family row when the old man retired I've been told.

I was sure that I'd posted another supplier where a lot of the Boddy's guys went, but I can't find it. Very posh place, but they sold off the emails of large orders. I got a couple of oak boards that'll be great for fingerboards for a couple of quid each.

• That's bloody typical ! There's always Feuillus  Fencing

• B&Q stock stair spindles in various woods. They are about the right size. Our local B&Q has oak & hickory. They are square in section so there will be some shaping to do but they are deep enough for an angled head. sizes 40mm square x 900mm long. prices from £4 - 8 each

• I get my wood from this fella. if your patience sooner or later you can get hard wood for around £25.http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/igothelot/m.html?item=371052695642&ha...

I've done it a couple of times but don't be fooled when the guy say's planed all round because  theres still rough areas.I just look at the size of the wood example 40x40  get 2 necks out of that if he got 8 pieces that 16 I can get

and black walnut from this fella,hes open to offers ,again you have to time it right.

oh heres one  you can get enough to do 25 or more depends on length.I'd make him an offer of £7.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KILN-DRIED-AMERICAN-BLACK-WALNUT-TIMBER-M...

• Have you tried walking into a charity furniture shop? I just got myself an oak double wardrobe for £30. 

It's sitting there waiting to me to get my benchsaw :)

• Charity shops are good but down in the West Country they seem to think we are made of money and charge silly prices sometimes. I did find another possible for this, the Sort-It Centres for waste sometimes have a little "shop" and they sell bits including furniture and small items, I got some nice fittings as some ironmongery as well.

Cheers

This reply was deleted.