Replies

• 306447738?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

Image (26).jpg

•  Here's how I wired it up ? ...

• Top left, I don't like that pot going to a separate ground.  Do you have a grounding plane somewhere in the guitar (like a sheet of copper)?  I don't know if it makes a difference, but I would ground the mag pup directly to the back of the other volume pot.  You have a loop going when you ground the mag pot and have it tied to the case of the 2nd pot.  If you have a common ground plane, then lose the ground wire between the 2 pot cases.  If you don't have a ground plane then lose the ground connection on the first pot.

You will need diodes on the pots to avoid losing signal when you have both pots at less than 10.  If you put one pot at 7 and one at 5 you will lose a significant amount of signal to ground.

•  Thanks Eric

Yes I have 3 grounds on the first pot  , ground to bridge , ground from mag pup and ground to second pot , so if I take off 2 grounds and leave ground to second pot ? .,

On the second pot i'll take off the rod piezo ground and put that with the other grounds I've taken off the first pot  and join them all together with the ground to the jack and go from there ..

• Gotcha.  I didn't think of the bridge ground to the mag pot.

I found things are much easier if you use a strap of copper as a common foil/sheet as a common ground.  You can simply glue it on the box and drill through for your pots and jack.  Then you can solder any grounds from the pups to the copper.  Makes things a ton easier.  Everything is grounded on one plane.

• 306446560?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

•  Thanks for that ? would mean a complete dismantle of the guitar and a complete re-wire and I still have the diodes get  and wire up  ? ....

•  I've had a problem with this , worked perfect with a Disc Piezo which I'm not a fan of so I changed it to a Rod Piezo ( taken from another build ) bridge , now the bridge pickup doesn't work ? the neck pup is fine switch to middle pos neck pup works not very much vol from bridge pup , switch to bridge pos no volume from bridge pup only a loud hum ?? anyone any thoughts on why this is ???? ...

•  Update .

Just disconnected neck mag pickup and the bridge pup works fine and in middle switch pos ? ....

• This is a big problem with dual volume controls on a piezo and mag setup.  You have two options, only one of which I have done, but the other I trust.

First option is to get a couple diodes and put them inline with the output of each pot.  This prevents signal from going through the pot to ground and not to the jack.  Check this thread and about the 6th reply down to see a link and wiring diagram example.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/piezo-or-mag-pickups-whi...

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/13405...

I have done this and it works very well.  Diodes are cheap too.

The other option comes by the way of The Phrygian Kid and he suggests just connecting the 3rd tab of the pot to ground.  This makes it simple variable resistor.  I did not know this before putting diodes on my guitars and so I have not tried it.  He's more than a trustworthy source of info though.

The last thing to check is to ensure you have a single point of grounding connections.  Only one.  Like, one.  Multiple points of ground can cause huge headaches.  Ground everything to one single point and then to the jack.

I have found the rod piezo/mag dual volume combo to be among the most frustrating to wire up.  Keep at it.

This reply was deleted.