I've built many guitars and wired them with just a piezo pick up. Sounds great and is easy to do, with my limited electrical skills. I tried to take my builds to the next level by wiring a volume pot over the weekend. It works but there is a slight buzz. If I touch the metal on the jack it goes away, so I need a better ground. Anyone else have this problem? How can I fix it?

Thanks

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• cool I'll try that, thanks.
  • Hi. I'm not saying that this is the answer, but it is something to consider. I didn't think I was much good as soldering until I watched a friend and he did nothing different except he used a flux paste. If you are using flux cored solder don't depend on that to make a good joint. Get some flux paste from a plumbers supply shop. It made all the difference to my soldering. Just might be a factor.
  • That's possible, I'm pretty new to soldering.  I'll try rewiring it up with a new pot this week end.
  • Bad pot? I've had that happen by applying too much heat before. Somehow it burns it up inside. How hot is the iron and/or did you have to use excessive time soldering?

-WY

• The solder is stuck on there really well, I couldn't pull it off If I wanted to.
  • You know Wade, I do that but I thought that the metal the case is made of resists solder. That or has some coating from the manufacturer to resist corrosion. I dunno. I sand it up.

Also I find that the case will absorb heat too fast and the solder won't adhere/bond well enough. Again, I dunno.

-WY

• I'll try that, thanks. I'll let you know what happened.
  • probably already know this, but a little sandpaper to rough up the surface(pots, jacks) gives better adhesion to what your soldering.

Wes "Moanin' Mule" Yates said:
    Agreed with Henry. Bad solder. Been there. Done that.

- WY
  • Agreed with Henry. Bad solder. Been there. Done that.

- WY
  • Hmmmmmmm, I've done it on 2 guitars, same problem.
This reply was deleted.