I was Just wondering why headless necks? the tuners are just at the other end. does it effect tone? or how you play it..or just a look??

Views: 2325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I LIKE that idea! :-)

Ben said:
How about both? I'm building a 5-string banjo that's got 4 tuners on the head, like normal but uses a tuner at the tail for the 5th string. It keeps the neck profile streamlined, but you still get that short drone string.
Anyone got pics of the tuners in the cigar box? Sounds like a neat idea!
This is how I did it. This method is maybe a bit inelegant as there is a gaping hole at the back of the box. It can be done more elegantly I am sure.....

David Canizaro said:

just to see if I could..... too much hassle for my taste in the building and in the tuning.... MichaelS said:
If you stuff the tuners inside the box it makes a very compact guitar, great for traveling. I don't know who but someone in here has done it this way.

purely prototyping... but could be done David Canizaro said:
Well OK then...is this far fetched?

How are you going to handle the string spacing.....
Tracy Kennedy said:
Well OK then...is this far fetched?

Using three separate tuners instead of a 1x3 would allow you to space the strings closer together, but watch out to make sure you have enough room that the tuner knobs are free enough to turn without interfering with each other. Also you want to drop the tuners down deeper into the box so the string holes sit lower and so the break angle of the strings over the bridge will be a sharper angle. Did you complete the build? How did it turn out, Tracy? Maybe I'll try this sometime.

-Rand.

I'm still around Jim. I just don't frequent as much I used too. Rand, yes yes and yes you are correct. That example was a "let's see if I can do it" thing for this thread. One of the others built one pictured on this there'd and admitted to hacking the box up. I just tried to do it to see if it could be done without butchering the box and to see if my approach was viable. I never completed the build. It's still sits on the bench as you see it in the picture above.... Covered in dust. Along with all the other builds I was in the middle of when life decided to get in the way of my build time. I miss building them and I'll get back to it someday when life decides to slow down

Hi Tracy,

At first glance, your method of installing the tuners looks super simple, but when you get down to actually doing it, the process is fairly difficult. Mounting the 3 tuners on the block of wood is not hard, but when you go to mount that board with the tuners into the cigar box, then you realize that you have to disassemble the 3 tuners so than you can drill 3 more holes in the side of the cigar box where the tail piece usually attaches. You need to make one hole per tuner knob, and then you have to reassemble the tuners with the 3 tuner knobs oriented so that their shafts go though the side of the cigar box while the board with the tuner base plates and shaft is in place, and then you have to put on the gears and screw in the 3 little screws. And all the holes and all the parts have to line-up perfectly. I also see in your photo that you had to drill 3 more holes in the back board so you could stick in your screw driver to tighten the gear screws. IMHO this method is just too tough.

However, I have started building a headless CBG using a modified version of your approach. In my approach, I cut out a piece of wood in the back side (tail-end) of the box through which the tuner knobs can easily pass. This makes the installation process much simpler. The other difference in my design is that my tuners have the string hole mid-way up the shaft (because they are the only ones I have in stock... I usually build instruments with slotted headstocks). So, my tuners are mounted a bit higher than yours and the shafts stick up even higher (not a good thing... maybe next time I'll saw off the excess part of the tuner shafts... the metal shafts are not that hard to cut with a hack saw). Instead of a standard "neck-thru", or "neck-almost-thru" neck attachment, I have run a board the same diameter and thickness of the neck down the bottom of the box and I secure the neck to this board via 3 wood screws to avoid having the neck come into the area used by the 3 tuners.

I still have to cut and glue on the sound board which will be 2mm thick plywood veneer (the cigar box top was too thick) and I need to fret the fretboard, both of which I'll do tomorrow. I have been taking some photos, so I will upload some to let you see how I did it. The photos should illustrate much of what I said via text above.

In re-reading this thread, I guess my approach is similar to the "gaping hole at the back of the box" approach used by Fergus Morris and for which you were trying to figure a work-around... the one you refer to as "hacking the box up". Well, I think a gaping hole "hack" is the most practical way, but sure if you have the skill and patience your method could be done.

-Rand

The other thing about my headless design compared to the way I usually build instruments (with either a slotted headstock or a scarf joint and two side pieces (wings)) is that it is easier to build. This is especially true because while in China all I have available are hand-tools. I have put my Cigar Box Banjo project on hold because I'm having problems cleanly cutting the two "wings" for the scarf joined flat headstock (I keep screwing them up when trying to saw straight and square lines) and because I need to practice cutting a simple 4-lobed banjo head using a coping saw. Will get back to it soon. I'm thinking of using softer wood for the wings and only cut in the softer wood for the 4-lobed banjo headstock.

I'll have to check the balance of the instrument once I have finished constructing it.

-Rand.

Heck I havent gotten that far yet Sam. I just did it 15 minutes ago to see if I could do it without hacking the box up. I suppose some sort of string tree between the tuner and the bridge would be the best option.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Moritz Voegeli and Matthias Bichsel are now friends
15 minutes ago
David L. replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
"I have found these are…"
47 minutes ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
50 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Don't Worry Be Happy: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 198th Zoom Mtg 04/15/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
55 minutes ago
Southern Ray commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

" I was gonna say, "Sweeeeeeeeeet" as well, but that was taken. Very nice. I too love…"
7 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Any other questions, just ask. "
7 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Hello JD, welcome. I'm a fifty year failed six-string player that got into building and…"
7 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
11 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Burn baby burn! Top looks hot Crazed; sporty headstock too. Excellent build."
11 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"You are a busy guy Warren! Outstanding builds and each one unique; well done."
11 hours ago
AGP # commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

""Sweeeeeeeeet", love the burning on the Body, have a Build on the Bench at the moment,…"
12 hours ago
AGP # liked Crazed Fandango's photo
12 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->