Sisters of CBN....maybe we should share something about who we are, where we're from (or where we're going?) Write as much or as little as you'd like. Hell, make it up if you want to. We won't know any different -- unless you become a CBG star.

Whaddya think?

Views: 459

Replies to This Discussion

Laurie,

It does sound like a not-so-easy time, and I sincerely hope 2010 is a better year for you and your folks. How lucky for you to still have them. So, you're made from long lasting stock, and we'll be enjoying your music for a good long time. That's great news to me!

Weemac said:
Hi Laurie,

Sounds like you've had quite a year. Must have been a strain for your folks. Not easy being uprooted at such a respectable age. Things can be a lot of fun but it's the people you love that count.

Love to see the photo - you got me curious now!

Mac

Laurie Lee Campbell said:
ooohhhh, Mac, I got one for you....I'll try and take a pic..I sadly had to move my folks this past year--they are in position to lose a home. ,moved.across the sidewalk , we are bohemians in upheaval, many years of memories were shifted, it was a emotionally and physically draining time, but also a lovely time of discovery, and the saga is not over....yet no one to share it with. ONE tool in particular,....I will take some pics so as to share..I picture "it" holding things, for me!! :-) my folks collectors and artists and unique in the world , all their live long days---dad 88 and mom 86, their are MY national "treasures"....Lol


Hi Susan and Mac! :-) thanks ---yes 2009, in fact much of the "otts" were tough in my book, and yes I AM so lucky to have them...my vocal and humor come from my Pa,..Ma a treasure, an artist and used ta be pianist......maybe turning of the century is traditionally hard...we'd have to look to history, to know,...:-) even in trial there is SO much to be gleaned....learned,,,,my backporch has dregs of the last of the things, still sitting there --I got to a point where I could not process "things" anylonger, ran out of brain power and room for them, as well.....LOL. A wonderful song was birthed (not yet shared anywhere)_ that was the direct result of little treasures found in moving that caused emotions to surface...on youtube I've another channel aside from cinderellalifestyle that showcases my work with a dear friend in France. He plays, I get to write and sing, most of the time, we bounce files across cyberspace!!!..please take time, when you can and check out chancel "Francifornia" ,,he just upgraded mixing software so the next new song collaboration should have better overall sound...we learn as we go, we have a TON of fun!...LOVE your tips/wit/writings/musings ladies!! I hope to soon hear some Scot sound samples!! :-) when you can..take care ladies! work to do..or I'd start my first CBG, today!..maybe later. I LIKE the idea of someone cooking ME dinner! LOL Laurie

Susan Hunt said:
Laurie,

It does sound like a not-so-easy time, and I sincerely hope 2010 is a better year for you and your folks. How lucky for you to still have them. So, you're made from long lasting stock, and we'll be enjoying your music for a good long time. That's great news to me!

Weemac said:
Hi Laurie,

Sounds like you've had quite a year. Must have been a strain for your folks. Not easy being uprooted at such a respectable age. Things can be a lot of fun but it's the people you love that count.

Love to see the photo - you got me curious now!

Mac

Laurie Lee Campbell said:
ooohhhh, Mac, I got one for you....I'll try and take a pic..I sadly had to move my folks this past year--they are in position to lose a home. ,moved.across the sidewalk , we are bohemians in upheaval, many years of memories were shifted, it was a emotionally and physically draining time, but also a lovely time of discovery, and the saga is not over....yet no one to share it with. ONE tool in particular,....I will take some pics so as to share..I picture "it" holding things, for me!! :-) my folks collectors and artists and unique in the world , all their live long days---dad 88 and mom 86, their are MY national "treasures"....Lol


Hey Dianne, Just saw your post, sorry I missed it earlier. The answer to your question is - it depends. Ain't that a bummer, nothings ever simple but I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. The height of the nut will determine the distance from the strings to fretboard at the first few frets. Too high and it will be dificult to fret, too low and it'll be difficult to play slide. It's a matter of taste and style. Also really low action requires more skill in setting up the frets etc as there is less tolerance for error (buzzing and stuff). The height of the bridge will have a lot of influence on the height of the strings from about fret five. Too high and the gap between the strings at the 12th fret can get nasty, affecting playability and intonation. Too low results in buzzes again, also a low bridge will affect the strenght of the sound because the strings will exert less pressure down onto the bridge - less vibration = less sound. High strings become less of an issue if you are only going to use a slide. That can be a bit restricting - most players will want to be able to fret at least some notes occasionally. I usually go for a compromise. I believe in making life easy for myself. The nut becomes a non-issue for me because I mostly use a zero fret so the nut basically becomes nothing more than a way to space the strings. That's the nut sorted. The bridge comes later. I make it oversized and work down from there until it feels about right. I just happen to be working on a uke build for my sis that's at the right stage to illustrate my point. All the bits are still unassembled so I hop you can see how one thing affects the other. I've no idea if my photo's will show up on this post. If not I'll try to put them in an album on my page.

Here you can see how the strings would go from the nut to th bridge. The height could be tweaked by removing material from the bridge but it looks like it'll all come out in the wash. Adding the separate fretboard allows me to have a fairly high bridge.

Here I've removed the fretboard and you can see I'd need a lower nut and a much lower bridge to get a decent string height. I hope this was helpful and answered some of your questions. If not then just drop me a line or have a look at photo on the site. Cheers, Mac Dianne Woods said:
Hey Sisters, I need your help. Is the nut and the bridge the same height?

I appreciate any help from yall. Thanks.
Welcome to the Women's Group, Dianne.... I loved your story of how you caught the "fever" and commend you for building a CBG immediately, on your own. I don't know why the piano is considered the feminine instrument of choice, but as you can see, that's OVER. It's your turn to plug in and play the Chicago blues, or anything else. Glad you found us!
Dianne - this story is great! So much like my own with my brother being the guitarist in the family and the whole things with the Beatles!!!! I started guitar earlier than you, but still, the story is so much like my family! Anyway - glad you are here now!!!!

lindiajoy said:
Hello CBG Women,
I am Dianne, a new member to CBN and a newbie to our shared hobby/obsession/sickness. ;-) I caught the fever one day last summer, while surfing through YouTube videos on blues music. The first cigar box guitar video I saw was one of Bluesboy Jag's. The sound was simply electrifying... pun intended... and launched me into an entire weekend of online research. My family thought I'd lost my mind, but guess they are used to that. By the end of 48 hours, I had bid and won a lot of 4 cigar boxes on Eb*y and 4 chrome bridges that looked great for sustain and string spacing. Gathered nuts and bolts, old guitar strings, hand tools and such in a cardboard box and ran to the local hardware for red oak 1 x 2s... just like you all have surely done... Built my first one in a single August afternoon on the front porch.
You see, my earliest clear memory in life is listening to my teenage brothers practice their guitars and drums, back when the Beatles were the newest group on the pop scene, and electric Chicago blues were happening about 20 miles away. That was great, for the guys. Since at the time, girls were not encouraged to play guitars (why is piano inherently feminine? I still don't get that)... it took me until age 45 to get my nerve up to start learning guitar. That was just a few years ago and the progress is slow, but the CBG thing... well, as they say, it lit a fire under me.
Just a week or so ago, I bought my first professionally made cbg with Christmas money from my mother, who is glad to see that I now have a shared interest with my brothers. And here we are.
You all give new members such a supportive, warm welcome on this site, and I thank you so much. A Happy New Year to you all!
Hey WeeMac, I love your tips; it sounds like you are on a roll. I imagine my husband would like that tip about asking him to cook supper because I am on a roll. Really, he wouldn't mind. I should try that alot since I don't like to cook. LOL
I just saw your post; I am alittle late. Something told me to check out the Women's Group to see what yall have been up to. I am glad I did. It sounds very complicated to get the string height just right. You said you just do it until it feels right. That doesn't apply to me, I don't know the difference.LOL Someone had told me that the height on the first fret is twice the height on the 12th fret. Is that true? When I get closer to that step, I will check back with you if you don't mind. Yes, I could see your photos where the bridge is higher than the nut. Good shot. How did you cut your bridge? With a scroll saw? Nice job. Thanks for posting the photos, it did help. Later.
Welcome Lindiajoy to our group. I am glad you joined us. Time has changed for the better for us, Ladies.
We can do anything. You have determination to build your first CBG just one afternoon. Good for you. It does get into your blood and your soul, and you are forever changed. I hope you are enjoying your new CBG you purchased. Keep having fun.
Hi Dianne, Not so complicated really but I can see how trial and error might be a bit difficult if you don't know how it should feel. If you think of your first build as a protype you'll take the pressure off yourself to get it right. Probably this one will be the first of many - LOL so don't sweat it too much. How far have you already got with the build? If you're not too far along I have a couple of suggestions. Make a slide guitar this time round. The string height isn't that important if you use a slide. You don't even have to install frets just make marks where the frets would have been. If you do install frets then use a zero fret. That's a fret that sits just in front of the nut. You can still install the nut but it acts just as way keeping the strings the correct distance apart rather than regulating their height. The strings rest on the zero fret and that makes them just about the right height at the nut end.

So at this stage you have a cigar box with a neck and a nut and a zero fret. Use a floating bridge. That's a bridge that sits on the soundboard and is moveable because it's only held on by string pressure.

Install the tuners and some arrangement to hold the strings at the other end and string her up. Experiment with odds and ends that could act as bridge. There are lots of ideas on the forum. Bolts, old keys, a bit of scrap wood. Anything just so as you can get something under the strings on the soundboard. Play your guitar. Try something else and play it some more. Get enough height at the 12th fret to avoid any stings buzzing on the frets as you play. You'll know when it's good enough - not perfect just good enough - it's a prototype. Play some more. Don't forget to enjoy yourself! So now you have a good idea how the bridge should be, make one slightly higher and remove material if necessary until it's playable. If you mess up you can always make another bridge but the instrument itself should be basically sound. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if I can be of any help. Dianne Woods said:
Hey WeeMac, I love your tips; it sounds like you are on a roll. I imagine my husband would like that tip about asking him to cook supper because I am on a roll. Really, he wouldn't mind. I should try that alot since I don't like to cook. LOL

I just saw your post; I am alittle late. Something told me to check out the Women's Group to see what yall have been up to. I am glad I did. It sounds very complicated to get the string height just right. You said you just do it until it feels right. That doesn't apply to me, I don't know the difference.LOL Someone had told me that the height on the first fret is twice the height on the 12th fret. Is that true? When I get closer to that step, I will check back with you if you don't mind. Yes, I could see your photos where the bridge is higher than the nut. Good shot. How did you cut your bridge? With a scroll saw? Nice job. Thanks for posting the photos, it did help. Later.
Hi Dianne,

Welcome to the obsession!

Glad you have escaped the gender stereotypes : ) The best thing about getting older IMHO is that eventually you just stop giving a damn about what other people think. I just tell folks I'm harmless! Most of them believe me.

Happy New Year to you too.

Mac


lindiajoy said:
Hello CBG Women,
I am Dianne, a new member to CBN and a newbie to our shared hobby/obsession/sickness. ;-) I caught the fever one day last summer, while surfing through YouTube videos on blues music. The first cigar box guitar video I saw was one of Bluesboy Jag's. The sound was simply electrifying... pun intended... and launched me into an entire weekend of online research. My family thought I'd lost my mind, but guess they are used to that. By the end of 48 hours, I had bid and won a lot of 4 cigar boxes on Eb*y and 4 chrome bridges that looked great for sustain and string spacing. Gathered nuts and bolts, old guitar strings, hand tools and such in a cardboard box and ran to the local hardware for red oak 1 x 2s... just like you all have surely done... Built my first one in a single August afternoon on the front porch.
You see, my earliest clear memory in life is listening to my teenage brothers practice their guitars and drums, back when the Beatles were the newest group on the pop scene, and electric Chicago blues were happening about 20 miles away. That was great, for the guys. Since at the time, girls were not encouraged to play guitars (why is piano inherently feminine? I still don't get that)... it took me until age 45 to get my nerve up to start learning guitar. That was just a few years ago and the progress is slow, but the CBG thing... well, as they say, it lit a fire under me.
Just a week or so ago, I bought my first professionally made cbg with Christmas money from my mother, who is glad to see that I now have a shared interest with my brothers. And here we are.
You all give new members such a supportive, warm welcome on this site, and I thank you so much. A Happy New Year to you all!
Hey Mac, I love your green tuners. You are right, why sweat it, it is my first one. You have the right attitude, love it!! I am getting ready to glue my heel under my neck, and then sand and paint it. I have already cut fret slots and drilled marker slots in my fretboard. I plan to use a slide on this one and maybe play a few notes. I will try what you suggested on one of my others in the future. Thank you for the information, advice and your time and the photos. Cheers.
LOL! Ya gotta love it when women say to one another "I love your green tuners." I mean we aren't talking about nail polish, shoes, or a sweater - we are talkin' about tuners!!!! How refreshing is THAT?!?!?!

Dianne Woods said:
Hey Mac, I love your green tuners.
Dianne,

Sounds like you're making good progress on the build - way to go! I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of your labours. Good luck with the rest of the project.

BTW I produced one my pieces of brilliant foresight and planning at the weekend - glued the heel of my new build onto the wrong side of the neck. Of course I didn't notice until the glue was well and truly set! I had to dig into more than one language to find the words to express my feelings at that moment. Not anything I could repeat on a public forum. We have to suffer for our art - LOL.

Ain't it great Lana? I'd rather someone complimented my tuners than my nails any day!



Dianne Woods said:
Hey Mac, I love your green tuners. You are right, why sweat it, it is my first one. You have the right attitude, love it!! I am getting ready to glue my heel under my neck, and then sand and paint it. I have already cut fret slots and drilled marker slots in my fretboard. I plan to use a slide on this one and maybe play a few notes. I will try what you suggested on one of my others in the future. Thank you for the information, advice and your time and the photos. Cheers.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

 


Discussion Forum

Who Are You?

Started by Susan Hunt. Last reply by TerryB Apr 7, 2014. 72 Replies

My new guitar

Started by Jillian Holladay. Last reply by Cin wel Sep 4, 2013. 2 Replies

The CBG Revolution NEEDS MORE WOMEN!

Started by steven beck. Last reply by steven beck May 10, 2012. 2 Replies

Glass Slide

Started by Louise Coulson. Last reply by PEGGY TRAMBLE Nov 20, 2011. 8 Replies

Why do I think we need a woman's group?

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Dianne Woods Jan 5, 2011. 15 Replies

General Discussion

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Dianne Woods Jan 10, 2010. 5 Replies

2010

Started by Susan Hunt. Last reply by Laurie Lee Campbell Jan 5, 2010. 4 Replies

Is anyone else having this problem?

Started by Zandi Z. Last reply by Zandi Z Dec 23, 2009. 8 Replies

Woman-made video and teaching materials

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Mama Mojo Nov 20, 2009. 3 Replies

Accomplished Women Luthiers (for inspiration!)

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Mama Mojo Nov 19, 2009. 6 Replies

Tools Marketed to Women

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Susan Hunt Nov 18, 2009. 1 Reply

Show off your work!

Started by Mama Mojo Nov 18, 2009. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

Uncle Enos CBG Banjo Build

Posted by Greg on November 29, 2021 at 7:24pm 0 Comments

To Reach the Chord

Posted by Rich on November 12, 2021 at 10:20am 0 Comments

Seasonal build contest?

Posted by smilingdog1 on October 29, 2021 at 9:20am 9 Comments

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

2 string Banjo for Gitty's Throwback build contest.

"Thanks, Doug!   It will make a pretty cool and playable wall hanger."
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's video
Thumbnail

CB Gitty Throwback Holiday Build Contest Entry.

"Ha!  Thanks, AGP.   There are a bunch of great looking entries.  I was trying…"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

Xmas Scam ;-D

"Wow, that must have been a heartbreaker AGP!!!"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

2 string Banjo for Gitty's Throwback build contest.

"It’s definitely got that vintage look Uncle John! Pretty cool tin to work with."
3 hours ago
AGP # posted a photo
3 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
4 hours ago
Keith liked Cigar Box Nation's discussion 2021 Throwback Holiday Build-Off Contest!
4 hours ago
AGP # liked Glenn Kaiser's photo
4 hours ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's photo
4 hours ago
AGP # liked Uncle John's photo
4 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
4 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
4 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->