Sisters of CBN....maybe we should share something about who we are, where we're from (or where we're going?) Write as much or as little as you'd like. Hell, make it up if you want to. We won't know any different -- unless you become a CBG star.

Whaddya think?

Views: 491

Replies to This Discussion

thank you for the welcome Susan. I've found a few that I have told my husband I neeeeed..lol. If he can spend thousands on PA equip than I can have CBG or 2 or 3...don't ya think?

Jonna


Susan Hunt said:
Welcome Jonna! If you think it's bad now, just wait until you hold your own cigar box guitar. You'll need another immediately. Glad you found us!

Jonna Campbell said:
Hey There!

My name's Jonna and I'm a 38 year old wife and mother of 2. CBG's fascinate me and are becoming an addiction, I'm looking to purchase my first one and the wait is killing me...lol. I'm glad to have found a women's groupand I look forward to getting to know you all.

Jonna
Hi Jonna! I'm late to say a big hello and welcome...I'm ready to have a fit without a banjo, so figure it's up to me to build one, ....might take years, but I will have a go! welcome it is a fun site and there is a wealth of help, info and good vibes here.
Sincerely, Laurie

Susan Hunt said:
Welcome Jonna! If you think it's bad now, just wait until you hold your own cigar box guitar. You'll need another immediately. Glad you found us!

Jonna Campbell said:
Hey There!

My name's Jonna and I'm a 38 year old wife and mother of 2. CBG's fascinate me and are becoming an addiction, I'm looking to purchase my first one and the wait is killing me...lol. I'm glad to have found a women's groupand I look forward to getting to know you all.

Jonna
Well it's better later than never...LOL. Nice to meet ya Laurie Lee and how bout that last name, could be kin..lol. Anyways nice to meet you and I love your video's!

Jonna

Laurie Lee Campbell said:
Hi Jonna! I'm late to say a big hello and welcome...I'm ready to have a fit without a banjo, so figure it's up to me to build one, ....might take years, but I will have a go! welcome it is a fun site and there is a wealth of help, info and good vibes here.
Sincerely, Laurie

Susan Hunt said:
Hello Lassies,

I'm weemac and I’m a CBG builder. It’s been 3 days since .........oops wrong group!

Seriously though. I’d like to introduce myself. Most of my friends call me Mac. I'm Scottish. I've been playing anything with strings (badly) for as long as I can remember. I enjoy blues, Scottish traditional music, and a lot more besides.

I've been building and playing CBG's for quite a few years now. I used to lurk around the old Yahoo forum and learned a lot about building there. Don't know where I first saw a CBG but I've been repairing busted up instruments and restoring old furniture for years so I probably came across the idea on some internet research for a fix. Anyway, the bloody things are like peanuts - you can't stop at just one – but unlike peanuts they have a way of creeping into your soul. Every build leaves something to be improved upon the next time. Every piece of junk at a sale or second hand shop becomes a potential tuner, bridge, soundhole, or resonator. The kitchen table becomes a workbench (or several fretboards), the garden a yard. I even built a deck so I’d have something to stomp on! Standard tunings are a thing of the past and I no longer practice, I play.

Great idea to start a women's group and great to see so many women enjoying this strange and whacky interest. This site is a wonderful place and the lads on here are the nicest and most generous bunch of blokes you’re likely to meet. But lets face it this obsession, however inspiring and enriching, can get a little lonely. I don't know anyone, in person, who had even heard of a CBG before they met me and I've never seen a real live CBG I didn't make myself. I don't even know very many women who know a chisel from a chainsaw. So it's great to find a place where I could maybe get lyrical and teary eyed about a vintage hand tool I just found at a garage sale and some other woman would actually get it.

I’m really looking forward to finding out what the women are building and playing. I already seen some really inspiring work on here.

Oh, and a very good New Year to you all. Lang may yer lum reek.

Mac
Welcome Jonna to our group. I am glad you found us. Yes, I think you deserve a CBG, maybe many.

Jonna Campbell said:
Hey There!

My name's Jonna and I'm a 38 year old wife and mother of 2. CBG's fascinate me and are becoming an addiction, I'm looking to purchase my first one and the wait is killing me...lol. I'm glad to have found a women's groupand I look forward to getting to know you all.

Jonna
Welcome Weemac to the Ladies group. You are right about the building getting into your soul, and your blood. I am working on my first build, it is a challenage. Maybe, you can post some videos of how you make your CBGs and play and sing for us. I know we would like to hear you and see how you build your CBGs. Happy New Year to you.

Weemac said:
Hello Lassies,

I'm weemac and I’m a CBG builder. It’s been 3 days since .........oops wrong group!

Seriously though. I’d like to introduce myself. Most of my friends call me Mac. I'm Scottish. I've been playing anything with strings (badly) for as long as I can remember. I enjoy blues, Scottish traditional music, and a lot more besides.

I've been building and playing CBG's for quite a few years now. I used to lurk around the old Yahoo forum and learned a lot about building there. Don't know where I first saw a CBG but I've been repairing busted up instruments and restoring old furniture for years so I probably came across the idea on some internet research for a fix. Anyway, the bloody things are like peanuts - you can't stop at just one – but unlike peanuts they have a way of creeping into your soul. Every build leaves something to be improved upon the next time. Every piece of junk at a sale or second hand shop becomes a potential tuner, bridge, soundhole, or resonator. The kitchen table becomes a workbench (or several fretboards), the garden a yard. I even built a deck so I’d have something to stomp on! Standard tunings are a thing of the past and I no longer practice, I play.

Great idea to start a women's group and great to see so many women enjoying this strange and whacky interest. This site is a wonderful place and the lads on here are the nicest and most generous bunch of blokes you’re likely to meet. But lets face it this obsession, however inspiring and enriching, can get a little lonely. I don't know anyone, in person, who had even heard of a CBG before they met me and I've never seen a real live CBG I didn't make myself. I don't even know very many women who know a chisel from a chainsaw. So it's great to find a place where I could maybe get lyrical and teary eyed about a vintage hand tool I just found at a garage sale and some other woman would actually get it.

I’m really looking forward to finding out what the women are building and playing. I already seen some really inspiring work on here.

Oh, and a very good New Year to you all. Lang may yer lum reek.

Mac
Hey Sisters, I need your help. Is the nut and the bridge the same height?
I appreciate any help from yall. Thanks.
ooohhhh, Mac, I got one for you....I'll try and take a pic..I sadly had to move my folks this past year--they are in position to lose a home. ,moved.across the sidewalk , we are bohemians in upheaval, many years of memories were shifted, it was a emotionally and physically draining time, but also a lovely time of discovery, and the saga is not over....yet no one to share it with. ONE tool in particular,....I will take some pics so as to share..I picture "it" holding things, for me!! :-) my folks collectors and artists and unique in the world , all their live long days---dad 88 and mom 86, their are MY national "treasures"....Lol



Weemac said:
Hello Lassies,

I'm weemac and I’m a CBG builder. It’s been 3 days since .........oops wrong group!

Seriously though. I’d like to introduce myself. Most of my friends call me Mac. I'm Scottish. I've been playing anything with strings (badly) for as long as I can remember. I enjoy blues, Scottish traditional music, and a lot more besides.

I've been building and playing CBG's for quite a few years now. I used to lurk around the old Yahoo forum and learned a lot about building there. Don't know where I first saw a CBG but I've been repairing busted up instruments and restoring old furniture for years so I probably came across the idea on some internet research for a fix. Anyway, the bloody things are like peanuts - you can't stop at just one – but unlike peanuts they have a way of creeping into your soul. Every build leaves something to be improved upon the next time. Every piece of junk at a sale or second hand shop becomes a potential tuner, bridge, soundhole, or resonator. The kitchen table becomes a workbench (or several fretboards), the garden a yard. I even built a deck so I’d have something to stomp on! Standard tunings are a thing of the past and I no longer practice, I play.

Great idea to start a women's group and great to see so many women enjoying this strange and whacky interest. This site is a wonderful place and the lads on here are the nicest and most generous bunch of blokes you’re likely to meet. But lets face it this obsession, however inspiring and enriching, can get a little lonely. I don't know anyone, in person, who had even heard of a CBG before they met me and I've never seen a real live CBG I didn't make myself. I don't even know very many women who know a chisel from a chainsaw. So it's great to find a place where I could maybe get lyrical and teary eyed about a vintage hand tool I just found at a garage sale and some other woman would actually get it.

I’m really looking forward to finding out what the women are building and playing. I already seen some really inspiring work on here.

Oh, and a very good New Year to you all. Lang may yer lum reek.

Mac
Thanks for the welcome Diane.

Congratulations on starting your first CBG. I don't have any video footage of builing a CBG unfortunatly. I may have some photo's of builds in progress. If I can find them I'll post them in an album and let you know.

In the meantime my best tips would be:

There are no rules - (just the laws of physics).
If you're a player don't cut your finger off.
I made a right mess of my first box luckily it wasn't my best box.
The next build is always the best.
Neck through body design is easier than bolt on neck.
Fretless is easier than fretted.
Measure twice, cut once! (this from my big sister who's a joiner)
Always use a square (another one from my sis)!
Make mistakes. Mistakes are your best teacher!
Try it out on scrap.
When you're on a roll ask someone else to make dinner - you are going to be BUSY.
If you're over fifty your tools will never be where you just laid them down. Screwdrivers are the worst culprits.
Dropped screws are gone - just grab a new one.
It's supposed to be fun.

Anyway, enjoy the challange and if you have any questions I'll do my best to help.

Mc





Dianne Woods said:
Welcome Weemac to the Ladies group. You are right about the building getting into your soul, and your blood. I am working on my first build, it is a challenage. Maybe, you can post some videos of how you make your CBGs and play and sing for us. I know we would like to hear you and see how you build your CBGs. Happy New Year to you.
Hi Laurie,

Sounds like you've had quite a year. Must have been a strain for your folks. Not easy being uprooted at such a respectable age. Things can be a lot of fun but it's the people you love that count.

Love to see the photo - you got me curious now!

Mac

Laurie Lee Campbell said:
ooohhhh, Mac, I got one for you....I'll try and take a pic..I sadly had to move my folks this past year--they are in position to lose a home. ,moved.across the sidewalk , we are bohemians in upheaval, many years of memories were shifted, it was a emotionally and physically draining time, but also a lovely time of discovery, and the saga is not over....yet no one to share it with. ONE tool in particular,....I will take some pics so as to share..I picture "it" holding things, for me!! :-) my folks collectors and artists and unique in the world , all their live long days---dad 88 and mom 86, their are MY national "treasures"....Lol


Well it looks as though a few more gals have joined and Susan and Diana have been the welcome wagon! Thanks, Gals!!!! And welcome Jonna and Mac!!!! It's terrific to have you here on the site and in the Women's Group! Mac - I laughed out loud when I read your "tips" and totally related and then I loved the stuff for if you are over 50! I'm not quite there yet (8 months to go) but I can already relate to that too! Great advice! And yes - these things grab you by the soul and don't let go!!!! Anyway, welcome gals!!!! Enjoy and don't be shy!
Mac -- what great tips! I'm going to post them in my house.

Weemac said:
Thanks for the welcome Diane.

Congratulations on starting your first CBG. I don't have any video footage of builing a CBG unfortunatly. I may have some photo's of builds in progress. If I can find them I'll post them in an album and let you know.

In the meantime my best tips would be:

There are no rules - (just the laws of physics).
If you're a player don't cut your finger off.
I made a right mess of my first box luckily it wasn't my best box.
The next build is always the best.
Neck through body design is easier than bolt on neck.
Fretless is easier than fretted.
Measure twice, cut once! (this from my big sister who's a joiner)
Always use a square (another one from my sis)!
Make mistakes. Mistakes are your best teacher!
Try it out on scrap.
When you're on a roll ask someone else to make dinner - you are going to be BUSY.
If you're over fifty your tools will never be where you just laid them down. Screwdrivers are the worst culprits.
Dropped screws are gone - just grab a new one.
It's supposed to be fun.

Anyway, enjoy the challange and if you have any questions I'll do my best to help.

Mc





Dianne Woods said:
Welcome Weemac to the Ladies group. You are right about the building getting into your soul, and your blood. I am working on my first build, it is a challenage. Maybe, you can post some videos of how you make your CBGs and play and sing for us. I know we would like to hear you and see how you build your CBGs. Happy New Year to you.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources


Discussion Forum

Who Are You?

Started by Susan Hunt. Last reply by TerryB Apr 7, 2014. 72 Replies

My new guitar

Started by Jillian Holladay. Last reply by Cin wel Sep 4, 2013. 2 Replies

The CBG Revolution NEEDS MORE WOMEN!

Started by steven beck. Last reply by steven beck May 10, 2012. 2 Replies

Glass Slide

Started by Louise Coulson. Last reply by PEGGY TRAMBLE Nov 20, 2011. 8 Replies

Why do I think we need a woman's group?

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Dianne Woods Jan 5, 2011. 15 Replies

General Discussion

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Dianne Woods Jan 10, 2010. 5 Replies

2010

Started by Susan Hunt. Last reply by Laurie Lee Campbell Jan 5, 2010. 4 Replies

Is anyone else having this problem?

Started by Zandi Z. Last reply by Zandi Z Dec 23, 2009. 8 Replies

Woman-made video and teaching materials

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Mama Mojo Nov 20, 2009. 3 Replies

Accomplished Women Luthiers (for inspiration!)

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Mama Mojo Nov 19, 2009. 6 Replies

Tools Marketed to Women

Started by Mama Mojo. Last reply by Susan Hunt Nov 18, 2009. 1 Reply

Show off your work!

Started by Mama Mojo Nov 18, 2009. 0 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Willie Joe Duncan

"This is the guy BrianQ! its Buschy One String from Africa ,he play's a ordenairy acoustic whit…"
16 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #151 - ''Mr Bean'' [Modified 18th June 2022]

"I like the vine patterned fretboard on this one AGP! Very attractive. I would imagine that…"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Thy Loving Kindness: 3-String Surf SLG Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 110th Zoom Mtg June 20, 2022. More info and free songbooks: https://sites.google.com/site/cigarboxguitarslingersspokane/...
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Gathering parts for the next reso

"That is going to be a stunner."
3 hours ago
Uncle John commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #151 - ''Mr Bean'' [Modified 18th June 2022]

"That is really handsome, Alan!"
3 hours ago
Uncle John commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #151 - ''Mr Bean'' [Modified 18th June 2022]

"I liked this one quite a bit before and as much or more now.  Lots of fiber from the beans and…"
3 hours ago
Uncle John commented on 3 String Blues's video
Thumbnail

Tales From the Swampside

"That did feel swampy.  Crickets a chirping.   Big ole frogs, carp rising to the…"
3 hours ago
Infirmity Citrus President replied to Taffy Evans's discussion Working on the edge.
"My experience with knife sharpening advice: Every American male is born knowing how to sharpen a…"
11 hours ago
Infirmity Citrus President posted a discussion

Box thickness effect on sound

If a guy wanted to build a dog bowl resonator:Will a thick box produce a better tone than a thin…See More
12 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Woman trouble (RAW BLUES) A. D .Eker 2022

"Thanks Keith ! Appriciated !"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Willie Joe Duncan

"Great Picture brianQ ! "
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Willie Joe Duncan

"Yup BrianQ the simplisety from a board or plank, a wire ,and a tension construction to tune…"
13 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2022   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->