This is like the question are we luthiers? Recently had new member come on-board referring to himself a newbie with 15 builds. My next will be a "teen". I like to build 3 or better at a time to make best use of equipment and time. I don't feel like a newbie and comfortable making CBG's,LPG's, and got a couple of '58 Corvette hubcaps on the way for my first hub cap builds.At the same time I would be challenged to build a baritone uke, like Mark or some of the absolutely unbelievable stuff I have seen here. I know I am leaving people out,no harm intended but that is a recent example. Is "newbie" connected with the number of builds, or diversity of builds? Built all acoustic,electric acoustic, pre-amped electric.

I do it for fun,but it is doing it for a living the point where it professional,advanced or is it a state of mind? Professional, to me seems me to mean that is your day job.Not a super serious question, just wonderin' here.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Once you make the first one you are a Luthier - Novice Class.

At some point of having a variety of builds behind you and comfort in the art and begin exploring some interesting "What If I do this interesting thing...." you are probably a Luthier - Journeyman Class

Master Luthier is either a piece of paper you get from a trade school, or a designation bestowed by your peers out of respect for your contribution to expanding and perpetuating the art.

(see I told you I have a tendency to ramble...)

• I commented here a week or so back in good faith,i'm now in the midst of a build that's taken me back to my 1st attempt,learning new stuff again,LUTHIER?,yeah in my £%&"*&% dreams

• I learn something new on every build I have done, often from mistakes! Part of the reason is I try to make each one unique. The other part is impatience or not thinking the whole thing through before cutting! I think it is like a lot of things in life, what first seemed confusing may become clearer with experience, but experience may lead you to try something even more challenging. So I guess I "graduate" to different or higher levels as experience grows.

• I will never graduate.   Something new to try always comes along.  We don't have to try everything, but I often want to try new stuff:  diddleys, deuces, threes, fours, fives, sixes, LPGs, canjos, amunition boxes, equalizers, humbuckers, resos, dog bowls, paint lids, new playing styles and tricks.  And the list goes on.

Plus to graduate, you have to be a master of the skills needed to make an all around great instrument- planning, color and decoration, construction, finish, playability, sound and volume.  I am journeyman, not a master.   The screw-ups on my current build testify to that.

• Yes, I  noticed that too.  I felt like a newbie for the first year.  After 10 or so builds, I felt a little less intimidated starting a build.  And then, building my own boxes was a giant leap.  

My next build will be #22.  Probably another uke, this time with a Gitty pre made neck.

Like a lot of us, I suppose, I sell to support my addiction.  Also to make some space for more.

I still have tons to learn.  Things like string gauges, tension and all that.  I have no clue about bindings.  Fretboard dots scare the hell out of me.  Oh, also I need to take some time to learn how to PLAY these things.

• That is part of the problem,I haven't sold one yet. I have traded one for one with my B-I-L that got me started on this habit and another to a good friend that had a 22 mag 5 shot derringer that can ride inconspicuous like.

• Newbie:

(n1) Person new to a forum.

(n2) Someone still finding new and different ways of screwing up a CBG, regardless of experience.

(adj) Feigned modesty.

BTW, never graduate from THIS school.

• 306462888?profile=original

• Thanks for that Wolf. This will be a prized possession. Diploma is the only thing missing (;-D)  Building CBG's is prolly like riding a motorcycle. When you think you can make it do anything at anytime you please, you are fixin' to get a case of road rash.

This reply was deleted.