What's up with this speaker!

Hey folks! I'm building an fk617 amp kit, and am using a salvaged thrift store speaker. When I took it out of its enclosure, I found this:

The hot wire goes through what I think (I know nothing about electronics) is a big capacitor before it hooks into both the positive speaker terminal and a piezo. I'm guessing the piezo is there for high-frequency response, but what is the other do-dad doing? Is it necessary? I'm guessing it wont hurt to leave it there, but it bugs me not knowing why it's there.... Many thanks.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That's just a very simple "first order" (one component) passive crossover filter. It will attenuate the lows or pass the higher frequencies at a "slope" or rate of 6db per octave. So the big speaker acts like a woofer and the little speaker acts like a tweeter. By adding a coil to the filter you can increase the slope to 12db per octave which would give it a much "sharper" cut over point. It would be a "second order" filter. More details than you will ever want or need here. http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover2.html
  • Thanks for the info. I guess I'll leave everything be.
  • you have a two way speaker here. the piezo is being used as a tweeter. the black thing is a capacitor.
  • There's a complication in that the piezo is both a cap and a MOhm resistor. Like, I said, I don't know enough to understand what the interaction between that and the cap does. It may very well protect the speaker - or even protect the amp by keeping the overall impedance under control.

BT Cohosh said:
    That's kind of what I initially thought, too, except that the capacitor isn't between the speaker and the piezo. The hot line goes through it, and *then* to both of them.

Could this have functioned as some sort of buffer to prevent speaker damage?
  • it's like Doc says a cap to split the high and low freq - so it's a two way speker
  • That's kind of what I initially thought, too, except that the capacitor isn't between the speaker and the piezo. The hot line goes through it, and *then* to both of them.

Could this have functioned as some sort of buffer to prevent speaker damage?
  • I would guess that the cap is splitting the freqs between the speaker and the piezo, but I don't know enough to explain how it's doing it.
This reply was deleted.