I picked this up from a local antique shop this morning. I knew I was taking a chance but I loved the vintage tweed look of this case.This measures 12" x 9.5" x 3.75". Once I got it home I pulled up a corner of the lining & found the frame to be wood and the faces to be cardboard. What would the outcome be if I used it for a CBG that has a Piezo in it. What about a magnetic pickup? I love the look but don't want to build something that sounds dead.

Thanks!

Todd

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Go Todd go... thanks for the update

Todd Crockett said:
    I decided to go forward. I put a piezo in it & will change it to magnetic if needed. I'm going to layout the frets tonight & start installing them. Here's a couple progress photos:

front.jpg

front2.jpg

neck-1.jpg

neck2.jpg

• I decided to go forward. I put a piezo in it & will change it to magnetic if needed. I'm going to layout the frets tonight & start installing them. Here's a couple progress photos:

front.jpg

front2.jpg

neck-1.jpg

neck2.jpg

• How cool is THAT! A suitcase guitar! I'm inspired to do this right away. I would go ahead and build it, but probably put a pickup or two on the top of the "soundboard" and make it electric.
  • The acoustic properties only really matter if you intend it to be solely... er.... acoustic. If you are gonna plug in, your amp will model the sound into something tasteful for you. Nothing wrong in cardboard CBGs either, they work great.

Yep, vintage tweed buskers amp would be neat though.

If you are unsure, send it to me ASAP :o)
  • Go for it!!..
    make a uke as well & keep inside...
    haha like russian dolls...
  • It needs one of my big brass cones Yep!
  • I'm seeing vintage tweed amp.

Matt
  • I agree.....bass drum it is. But, not saying it could NOT be a cbg.....it would be really big to play though.....but hey......no rules!. Go for it if you feel the need and make it a cbg.

jim said:
    FOOLS! Its a Bass Drum!!!
  • FOOLS! Its a Bass Drum!!!
  • AS thick as the wood is I'm not sure it would work acoustic, But have you thought about using it as the start of an amp?
    It would probably have to be lectric to get volume. But it looks cool for SOMETHIN!
This reply was deleted.