Anyone know what this might be? Ranges from black to grey and yellowish, some brownish red hues as well. I was thinking mahogany but isn't that more overall redish?

Some sticks are really dark and then fade into these lighter colors abruptly.

IMAG0506.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  

305811146?profile=original

• I have zebrawood in my shop and it looks nothing like the pics posted.

• there are masny types / looks  of zebra wood .  take a boo,  scroll   and compare http://www.google.ca/search?q=zebra+wood&hl=en&prmd=imvns&a...

• Only the first picture resembled zebrawood, the other four do not. The 2nd looked like walnut, the last 3 look more like teak or maybe ipe. It's hard to tell in the rough and I don't think he has given an indication of weight/hardness or where he got them. They may not even be all the same species.

• Well, it does kind of look like ipe, but it isn't as red. I'm pretty sure all the sticks are the same species. They come from a furniture and cabinet maker that does super high end quality work for businesses and residences. After working with it tonight it seems very dense and heavy. Even more than the walnut I laminated some to. I think zebrawood it is, probably goncalo alves.

• Ok,ok...it's zebrawood....lol

• Hard to identify wood in the rough, if you can plane some down it might help. My guess is they are walnut cut-offs, the light wood is sap wood.

• 305810496?profile=originalYeah possible, but I've never seen walnut with this type of striping.  I'll try to get a better pic tonight.  It also doesn't smell like walnut when cut.  Walnut has that distinct bitter aroma. 

wood2.jpg

wood3.jpg

• Yeah, that's not walnut.  Ipe?

This reply was deleted.