So I know lots of people use bone for nuts and bridges. but I was wondering if a chicken bone (or a chunk of one) would be strong enough to use as a bridge. I think if I filed down the joint ends of it so it laid flat, it'd be pretty neat to straight up just use a bone for the bridge.

Views: 884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been thinking about this and two things come to mind... I wonder how a raw chicken bone would work compared to one that's been cooked? The cooking process causes the bones to become more brittle and splinter under pressure (which is why dogs shouldn't get 'em). Secondly, I wonder if theres something you could fill it with to help keep it's structure. Although, that might be defeating the purpose.

Mungo Park said:

Just remember when you cut them up if you use anything but hand tools they really stink bad, yeck, almost enough to make you want to buy the next ones. Half way through I am thinking is this worth saving 2 bucks, but that is just me, love the smell of wood hate the smell of bone,  I don't know how that guy who makes slides can stand it, Kudos to him he is a brave man.

Cheers Ron.

I use a bandsaw and a dremmel with a dust mask for speed and convinience sake, but I have to agree. I feel like if hell had a smell, it would be someone putting bone to a grinder... blech.

Maybe another potential use for that home made milk plastic that's the topic of another CBG discussion/thread. LOL.

-Rand.

I've been wondering the same thing. I have access to a large supply of pigeon bones at work, and I always thought they would look cool, but I never grabbed any because I figured (rightly) that they wouldn't be strong enough. A strengthening filler would be nice.

Jason W. said:
I wonder if theres something you could fill it with to help keep it's structure. Although, that might be defeating the purpose.
I guess you could fill them with a mixture of epoxy and sawdust or something, no?

This has been a great forum topic for me.  Someone sent some info that bleach tends to make the bones brittle.  They said that the pros use a diluted peroxide mixture.  I boil, soak in H2O2, and sun dry.  Kills the smell and bacteria.  I first tried this process on chicken bones, then found out they were hollow. Oh well.

Jim I'm glad you bumped this old thread as I've been wondering about bones. I buy bags of soup bones from an Asian market, couple dollars gets me about 5lbs worth. My dog loves the marrow but some of the bones are too hard even for her so now I have a use for them. Thanks for the tip about killing the smell.

Also, for anyone still wanting to try bird bones, turkey leg bones are very dense and strong and should be plenty tough enough as a guitar bridge. Wing bones are also pretty tough and might make for a good nut.

Cow bones...remember...the Tone is in the Bone ! and for the smell of milling cow bones into my custom slides...yeah it smells like $$$$$$ to me...lol.

This is just nuts!

Sometimes, you gotta saddle up, and take the bridge to a better life.

Where I live in Colorado they sell antler bits as dog chews in the pet shops... they do look good. Worth a try. 

try and get the part of the antler where it connects to the skull cap, you want it to be dense thats why bone works so good. It transmits the sound from the neck...the denser the material the better the sound. Where a metal bolt robs the sound...thats just my 2 cents worth...lol.

I have not made my CBG yet but I have been making custom knives for years. When I want to use a softer material for the handle I stabilize it. You can do this in a vacuum chamber of your own design. Stick your bone in a small jar, fill it with Thompson's water seal, or another similar agent, draw a vacuum on it and that will pull the sealant into the done. Let it dry for a week and it will be denser and harder. Just a thought???

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->