I recently completed this hybrid guitar/ukulele and I'm wondering if there is a name for this type of hybrid? it has a rather small, thin box, through neck design, rod piezo pickup, 21" scale and steel strings tuned like a uke - GCEA. Being in Hawaii, ukes are popular and I thought it would be an interesting project. I may restring it to DGEA, but for now I'm leaving it like it is. Anyone else built something like this?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Long-Scale Tennor Uke?

• That's kind of what it is in this tuning, although the steel strings complicate things. I have a couple of ukulele playing friends I am going to have test it out and give me an opinion on it.

• If it sounds as good as it looks call it anything you want. Nice work! 

• Thanks! retuning to GCEG give a nice Hawaiian open tuning and works with a slide.

• I would call that a baritone ukulele sort of length. Usually tuned DGEA might also be callex a tenor guitar depending on wind direction.

• What happened to my keyboard?DGBE I meant not DGEA.

• At this size the difference between calling it a baritone uke or a tenor guitar may just be in the tuning and choice of either nylon or steel strings.

• How about a baritone uke's standard tuning (DGBE), but with a high D to sorta' mimic the sound of a smaller ukulele's re-entrant tuning?

• This one's going to be in an art gallery in Holualoa, HI so I am going to leave it strung GCEA and build another short scale CBG with the re-entrant tuning. That's the trouble with CBGs, you can't build just one!

Then the question - nylon or steel strings?

• Laid back, cool, artsy; love Holualoa (which just happens to have the best coffee in the world! ; ).
            Congrats on the gallery exhibit. Will you and/or your uke be there in November for the art show?

Regarding string choice for this exhibition, I don't see any other option... ^^

*Catgut is a type of cord[1] that is prepared from the natural fibre found in the walls of animal intestines.[2] Catgut makers usually use sheep or goat intestines, but occasionally use the intestines of cattle,[3] hogs, horses, mules, or donkeys.[4] Despite the name, catgut manufacturers do not use cat intestines.
            -Wikipedia

This reply was deleted.