Howdy,

I have a Jack Daniels tin that should be ready by tomorrow (this is a my first tin build). I was just curious what strings tin folks like to use? Acoustic? Electric? I have both on hand.

FWIW, it's a 3 string with a double piezo under the bridge area. I plan on using a metal bridge but have a wood based one ready as well.

Any thoughts/opinions would be grately appreciated.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've considered Flat-Pimping my tin build. The piezo sounds horrible to the point that I don't play it. Should have a few Elmars coming in the mail here shortly.  I plan to pimp a few old piezo builds.

• P101000137.jpg

This has been showed around many times, lotta folks like this solution :)
  • I'd use phosphor/bronze acoustic guitar strings. And I'd skip the pizzo, they sound awful on metal soundboards. Stick a $5 strat pup inside ;) metal bridge, yes definitely
  • 305791972?profile=originalI'm ready to experiment a little. My first tin build needs a friend. Now I can try the acoustic strings.305793334?profile=original

• coolaroo   ;-)

• AP, the 'nopiezo' tin cbg is awesome!

I gotta get me one a those!

rc

• hey rc .. yeah ..  i  took  a loaded  pickguard  from an old teisco  type guitar , ,cut  her to size  and  melded  it  in  ..  it  was  missing a pickup , so i added a lipstick  in the front  ..   real  fun guitar  .. leather belt as a  fretboard  ,,  and all pups are switchable  .. 

has a cool   underwater sound  ;-) 

if your timing is  right .. it  might be forsale  ;-)

• if your timing is  right .. it  might be forsale  ;-)

Tnx AP

Well, there's at least part of my problem...  always a day late and a dollar short.  :-)

Never-the-less, if I were a stage entertainer, it would be a necessary tool, IMO.

So far I'm on my 1st dbo and very interested now in tone, presence, and sustain.

PK says the phosphor bronze acoustic strings might be better, for a metal box, and I'll agree they are warmer on an acoustic wood body, but I prefer the feel of the nickel strings, and I'll learn what I may about resonators for that distinct tone, and presence.

Interesting how a tin top will generate enough juice with a coil pup strapped to the side of a thru-neck.

Best

rc

• piezo???  ...  who needs  em ?  lol

305790664?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• That's way cool!!!

Is that the tin with the white hat and suit? I just picked one of those up yesterday.

This reply was deleted.