Replies

• So I gave ita try and I am not totally happy with it.I may have to give piano wire a try.

• I got some .042 stainless wire we use at work for safety wiring.I am going to give it a try this weekend.
  • I had a D string from a bass and a high B from a guitar. the B is too high and I've just been too lazy to change it out
  • Thanks for the info.
  • I knew I'd be building a few so the most cost effective deal I found was: 18.95 + 3.07 s/h for a total of 99 feet of wire! The assortment  was from .031" at 3 feet (piano size 13) to .047" at 17 feet (piano size 21) and each size in between. Length increases with each size up. This should be enough for 25 or 30 diddley bows! The seller on eBay is showard88

The eBay store is Howard Piano Industries

This link takes you to the item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110452804420?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_...

• Yeah I was gonna make a comment about wound wire and the zipper sound.What was the cost of the piano wire and how much did you have to buy?Can you post the eBay link?
  • I just started to explore diddley bows, have built 2, a one string, and a two string. Have decided to use piano wire. Most similar to "traditional" broom wire. Bought a whole selection of mid-range sizes from a supplier on eBay. Larger sizes for lower tuning without the zipper sound/feel of wound strings. Very happy with the results so far. Recommended size according to online source (http://www.ehow.com/how_10043362_make-lap-style-diddley-bow.html) is from .032 to .056 inch gauge.
  • If you're building more than one, I suggest you try and A one one and a B er so on the other.

This will allow you to try different tunings in the different string sizes.

I kinda use left overs, but my preference is for the heavier strings. I use around a .42 and tune to E or G.

AFKAM

• I use leftovers. I dig through all the strings I didn't use on other builds, and pick one based on what sound I want. Heavier strings for a deeper sound; lighter strings for a sweeter sound.
This reply was deleted.