First off hello! I have been lurking here for a few months and built two CBG's.

I am trying to get a little more professional in the look and feel so I was wondering what sized roundover router bit and any tips you have for rounding the back of the neck? I ordered a surform shaver and rasp to try and form one by hand too. But I figure a router must be quicker.

Any tips are appreciated!

Ryan

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A drawknife will do it in less than 15 minutes, and no noise, no dust.  If the grain is straight little to no sanding is needed, it is a great tool to have for this job.

• I use a router table and a bit with a bearing, with stop blocks clamped to the workpiece, fast and easy.

I use the biggest that keeps the bearing on the neck or fingerboard without leaving a steep slope angle at the bottom where the curve meets the back of the neck.

• You can create some beautiful builds with the "hand" tools you've got.

Then you can take it to another level or two with a little bit of power.

Safety is first!!!!

Rock on!

Gittys by George

• True George, but I get much more pleasure from hand tools.

• What type of spokeshave do you guys use?  Half round?

• I use a flat one (this one, specifically). It's fine for flat and convex shapes, which is handy as I don't always need to round over pieces. Just take the corner off your neck material (like creating a beveled edge), then take the high spots down until it's the shape you want.

• I just use a rasp followed by a coarse file and then sand to smooth.  Other than drilling the holes for tuners and such I prefer to use basic hand tools.  The small irregularities add personality to the builds.

• I'm with the Kid and Tom and Chickenbone John on this one. Since I ditched my router and got a spokeshave, my neck shaping has become a very enjoyable process, not to mention one that I can do while the wife is sleeping 'cause it is so quiet. Seeing those beautiful shavings pile up is a very "Old World" kind of experience and will be even more so as soon as I build a "shaving bench". I also save all the nice curly shavings for other projects like home-made potpourri or whatever. Routers are great for a lot of things but neck shaping is not one of them IMHO. 

• And I see I already had replied to this before, so you can see I love my spokeshave!

• What dremel bit for a circle to drop a cone in?

I have the jig and dremel,just need to know what bit.

Thanks,

BNz'

This reply was deleted.