I've built about 50 three and four stringers (fretted and sliders). I've been luck to find a lot of boxes for free or low cost at local cigar stores. Over time, I started to gravitate to certain boxes when I wanted to build a really special guitar.

Two of my favorites are:

The Black Tabak box is big and look really good when set up as a CBG. It is all wood and the large size makes it sound good acoustically.

The "My Fathers Cigar" box is one of the most colorful out there It is fairly large (7 x 10) and about two inches deep. I dresses up well with F holes and brass corners. Makes a nice slider.

So what's you favorite box(s) and why do you like them.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the replies and photos. I had forgotten about the Brick House boxes. They are both big and nice. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good one.

• My favorite is the one I'm building.

But I do enjoy the two you depict and discuss above. I also seem to gravitate to all-wood boxes, yet some mdf ones play just fine.

• 306703220?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024I like the Flor de Antillas (My Father Cigar) boxes too.  I made a guitar for my cousin with one.  It looked and sounded great.

I like Brick House boxes too since they look cool, are big and have a good acoustic resonance.  I also think a lot of Rocky Patel boxes look pretty nice.

I just picked up these four boxes for $4 over the weekend.  I think they'll all make nice looking guitars (and one kalimba)

I'm going to make my buddy a 3-stringer out of the Camacho box for being the Best Man in my wedding.  He's a Scorpio, so I think he'll like it on a couple of levels.

• My favorite cigar box is an empty one ;) I do like the larger rectangular ones best. Lately I’ve been building some acoustic ones from antique boxes 

This reply was deleted.