This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 30898

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"$12usd per foot" for Poplar?!  Where do you live?

Reply by Carl Floyd the other day
In the case is the safest place. It has been my experience that is where they stay mostly. I play 'em more if they are hanging on the wall.

Well, Carl for some the case is not so safe for Gibson Les Paul style guitars as one might think. In some guitar cases, the peghead can rest on the bottom of the case when not supported under the neck at the right place or correct height. Drop or bang the case hard and the peghead area can break. I have modified many cases inside before and sadly after any damage has occurred.
Taff

I noticed that years ago on mine LP case, Taff.   I folded a piece of cloth in the area where the neck touches to keep the headstock elevated.  I like it better hanging on the wall.  ;)

Great jog repairing those broken headstocks!

Just completed two, cat bowl reso (Pussycaster ?) and Joe Strummer inspired CBG. As usual lacking inspiration to finish the third.

Those look great Michael.

I get a steady stream of stompboxes in for repair, why? 30 gauge wire, that’s why!! I actually asked a few manufacturers at the NAMM show why they use such small wire in the boxes. And they all said flexibility? Then I asked, “isn’t 22 gauge wire just as flexible?” I was met by silence after asking which I then figured out that it was an excuse to be cheap? Whatever the reason, the battery wire breaks on every last one!!! That’s why I think it’s best to use wall-warts than batteries, all you do is plug in, no wires to fool with! 

This Danelectro amp initially had a broken battery wire, but when I removed the circuit board something happened? All of the wires connected to the board broke off!! After cursing the box & it’s manufacturer, I replaced every wire with quality 22 gauge wire, tested it & put ‘er back together. This is the reason why people are buying more boutique boxes than commercial ones, the quality is better & you get what you pay for? On to the next one, thanx for allowing me to vent my frustrations :D

They probably saved $1 per unit using the smaller wire. LOL
A bunch of companies came out with those Re-Issue Tube Amps that had high failure rates due to thin current strips on the PCB's, not to mention the cheap tubes and tube sockets.
So what happens, people start paying old guys to hand wire the amps. Now the components are hard to find.

Speaking of which, I was going to finally rewire my old Silvertone tube amp this winter, but my health got in the way. Maybe this summer?

Built a 4 string CBG style git out of a pencil box for my Grandson, turns 10 in a month. Also got him a Fender Frontman 10 watt amp to use with the git and his keyboards.
Originally was building it for Christmas, but because of those peskey health issues it took longer to build.

Yea Paul, tube socket’s on pcb’s isn’t the way to go with high power amps? They traces always end up popping off the board from the heat! That’s why I like to build point to point when it comes to amps, it makes everything easier if there’s a chance for any future repair? Kool guit, I gave one of those amps to my daughter, I like that it has a headphone jack on it & the overdrive channel has a decent opamp circuit similar to the DOD 250/Distortion + with a fixed gain output? High voltage cloth pushback wire & wire in general is another thing that’s gone up during inflation!!

Those PCB traces will burn out quick with a tube powering it.
Point to point does look like a rats nest, but much more simple to work on if you know how to do some circuit tracing. I like the Fender used those turret boards.

The Pencil bow top has a 3-D effect to it, was easy to build and I used a Squier neck pickup from my parts stash. Those Squier pickups are really good if you know how to setup a guitar.

I've been wanting a good Gibson ES335/339 style guitar for a while. Saw some decent kits I was going to get and Sweetwater had a sell. $350 on credit - I couldn't pass it up.

What model is this Paul? I had an artcore George Benson model, they’re surprisingly good, it had a floating bridge with a rosewood base & an abr-1 style saddle, totally adjustable & plenty of sustain.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->