This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 30898

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stewmac shipping was a bit expensive and probably because of the 2ft box. LOL
That Jescar wire I got from Gitty years ago was real stiff, I wondered if I got stainless steel wire by mistake.

You'd know if it was stainless when you try working it. I've heard some folks have had to buy new nippers after a stainless fret job.
Taff

Stewmac still sells the 2ft frets.  Bought 6ft of gold Jescar with the slabs.  I always felt that CBgitty frets are a little cheaper than Stewmac, never knew CB gets from them.  Another strange place I found frets for cheap was at Guitar Center, they had a 24 pack of 2.75" cut and radius frets for Fender model necks for $19.99.  Maybe not CBgitty cheap, but pre-cut frets are always welcome.

Stainless steel lasts a long time, I see it's benefits but a pain to my hands with nippers.  Trick is to cut the fret in the middle of the nippers blades. There is a tiny bit of steel there compared to the entire nippers which is weaker metal.  But save your nippers, use a dremel with a metal cutter instead.  Watch out for sparks though.

Oh wow, Guitar Center now has them for $10.99 usd for 24 precut frets.

Hmmmm, I would be whary of cutting frets close to a lacquered neck on a refret with a Drexel, and the heat could melt the lacquer and/or glue that holds the fret ends, if used, I'm thinking. What I did was make the nipper handles longer for more/easier purchase.

I use the gold Evo wire on all my full acoustic builds. Some years ago l bought some in bulk and got a 600mm diameter roll, sad to say it's running very low, after five years or so.
Taff

Oh I gotcha, yeah, the fret can change color if gets too hot by using the dremel too.  I do take my time though when "guerilla warfaring". But I don't finish the neck until frets and fretboard are glued on.  This way any glops of glue are removed when I shape it down.  Much easier for me that way.

Has anyone has had experience with purpleheart wood?  Something interesting happened to my piece.  I bought a 48 inch 3/4 board and I noticed a slight warp in the middle. Raises up almost a 1/4 inch off my table, so I wrapped that part in a thin towel, spritz it with water and tossed it in my truck in 90°F weather, with all windows rolled up and a 60lbs dumbbell on it to compress it flat. 4 hours later, I get the purpleheart straight, but the area where I had the dumbbell, turned the wood green! It seems the little rust from the dumbbell reacted to the wood.

The Forum has been a bit quiet...so...

Well, this post is not about what is on my bench, but more about where is the bench.

I had two benches in a work area I call the machine shop, cos’ it has a lot of machines in there. I was given two big steel shelving units and to fit them in I had to make room, a good excuse for a big tidy-up. But something had to go to make room.

My CBG building bench was chosen. This and the other bench were just collecting unfinished jobs and dust, so one had 5to go and the other was to be the new CBG building bench.
The pictures will tell the story. It took a few days to get rid of that bench and to rearrange the whole shop, gaining a bit more space in-between machines in the bargain.
I also found these three guitar bodies, shown, in the process. Paul what is your address, haha.

The shop is 380 square feet and holds nineteen machines and one long bench and my power tool cabinet, oh and two large shelving systems.

After 20 years it's got to go...

Wow, more space 5to fill,,,

Too busy to even look at these...

I don't use these machines too often so dust covers save cleaning time...

Now to build some box guitars…..
Cheers Taff

My problem is a bunch of builds waiting to get finished and started.
I need that swift kick in the hind parts to get started. LOL

I need that same kick in the pants - my shop looks like the aftermath of a F5 tornado

LOL
I know that look all too well.

A year or so ago I was sent this guitar to set up, a great buy on eBay, or so the customer thought. I think he paid $400 for it. I looked it over and had to give him the bad news that it would cost more than that to get it to the specs he wanted.
Although PRS do fit a Floyed Rose style bridge system to this model, this one was added, or should I say nearly added by the previous owner. Not only was the routing wrong but the truss rod was not doing its job properly, and a few other issues.
In the end he said keep it. So I stashed it away with all the other “keep it for parts” guitars.
Long story short, maybe too late for that, Haha……
I decided to do the work and give the guitar to a very promising young student as a gift.
Pictures should tell the story. Needless to say she was the happiest guitar picker in town.

profile=RESIZE_710x" class="align-center"">

Phew... thanks for looking Taff

Great job Taff and I know the person that got it is very happy.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->