Replies

• I like the chunky shapes. The soft chunky V is very comfortable and guides the thumb into the “proper” playing position.
  • Thanks Michael Fred !! for your reaction ! appriciated ! looks a bit like the hardy V seems to me like a real fine shape to handle ! great input & Picture !

• Tried this shape recently,will certainly use it again.3368396922?profile=RESIZE_710x

• The only bad things about a router is tear-out from dull bits, going the wrong way with the grain or just the way the wood grain reacts to a fast cutting bit.

A good sharp spoke shave, small plane, heavy file or scrapper is what I use most often. It takes longer, but you don't end up with any "Ooopps!" or "AwwSh*@!" moments unless you really have trouble with tools. Practice with whatever tools your using on scrapes of the types of wood your using first before moving on to the real project.

•  

I've settled on ripping the playing portion of the neck down to 1.5", plenty for three strings and 4 will fit too. Then I use a router and a 1/2" radius bit on the playing area where I want a radius. A little sanding at the body and headstock and you're done. Very comfortable, quick and easy.

Mark

• Thanks for your contribution Mark from Smoking guitars !,in general it usualy is ,quick & easy, but sometime you go out of your way and do a little exsta and thats when giving some thought on the shape of the neck and overall feel of it will give more long term satisfaction when that curve & feel is just right ,and it looks better to! but on the other hand, i have some builds that i just had to do whit what was afaileble on the moment that was maybee to small and as long as the sound is to your liking the playebillety comes second !

• For 6 string guitars I've always liked the C shape. My BO Diddly build that I recently built I made a Soft V shaped neck. It's really comfortable and was a option on a lot of old Fender guitars.

For my CBG style guitars(mostly 4 string) I've used a D shape or Soft V shape. I've also tried to take more material off the neck on the finger side, so it's a bit odd shaped but works well.

• Thanks Paul for your Feedback ! it good to hear that people exspiriment whit necks & Shapes, that how inovations come about ,otherwise whe whoed still be stuck whit those two by four sanded downs!

• True that.

• 3358407570?profile=RESIZE_710x

My basic need for a fine Neck, in tool perspectif!

This reply was deleted.