Replies

• If you're not sure about how the finish is going to turn out - make a test patch.

This means get a piece of wood which is the same kind of wood as used on your on guitar and put the same finish on it. Then you can experiment on that piece and not on the real thing. If you screw up, you won't ruin your guitar. 

• Instrument or Painting makes no differens, they often paint on wood anyway, dont know what you meen by Damar is this a brand?clear medium is clear resin and a hardner, my best advice is;  if you paint it your self, you know what brand oilpaint you use, take the advised topcoat from the same brand,,like i say, in europe and the states /uk there are differend standarts for paint and its use  in princeple  one (1) layer is enough, use a good brusch preferebly Marter Hair take long strokes and dont work the coat to much, left right cris cross ,go whit the grain of the wood, first you see stripes but they will flow away when drying, if you dont trust one layer apply 2 after a good time Min; one week of drying of the first layer! good luck ! Greeeettsszz A.D.

• Thank you! I will take your advice.

• I am a painter now for 40 Years, and my advice is; use a clear medium on oilpaint, or non at all,No waterbase on Oil! Oil base on Oil, but bee picky about that!  the old Masters used laquer on oilpaint BUT What happens!

you get the well known Cracklee effect becouse the oilpaint takes longer time to dry it cracks up the top coat of lacker, when you laquer oilpaint be sure that the paint haz dryed treu and treu, then use a light resistend medium, if u use lacquer it tends to turn yellow and deform in sunlight, some don't mind some like it because of ageing effect.Dont use shellac on Oilpaint! and dont put tree (3) diverend drying coats over one and other, thats a recipe for Misfortune. I know if learned my lesson ! Greeeeeettssszz A.D. 

• You are the one I looking for:) what do you think about this: one layer of damar and another strong one. Or damar is strong enough? I mean it is not a painting hanging on the wall it is an instrument always in hands. What would be that clear medium?  

• google for "varnish over artist oil paint" and read up on which varnishes work well over what types of paint.  Many of the "great paintings" are varnished after the artwork is done to protect the paint from dirt/oil/dust/humidity/etc.  and your CBG Mona Lisa is worth no less love and care.

• Thanks I've checked that, but I am afraid those varnishes are for paintings on the wall not a guitar in the hand. Do you think they are strong enough can take the sweat of your hand? 

• hmm, 1st coat a proper and type appropriate varnish for the paint being protected, 2nd-Nth coat a good spar varnish (made for boats) ought to stand up to the sweatiest picker at the summer solstice barn dance.

• yes, I think this it, thank you!

• This is why I ask: http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/tobacco-burnst?xg_source=activity It is already painted. Actually it is artists paint. I know this is not the best choice. 

This reply was deleted.