Thought I might start a discussion around what kind of workspace cbg buffs craft their intruments. For those like myself,who rent in a small unit you couldn't swing a cat in,it can be difficult working without trashing the carpet etc.I'm sure some of you folks have work benches etc to make a newb like me salivate. I'll get the ball rollin and say I did my first build in the bathroom mostly, on top of the washing machine. And a coffee table by the T.V. I throw a big plastic sheet on the carpet under it to catch sawdust etc.Needless to say I have trashed the washing machine lid and top of coffee table.And a few old books to cut on. Come on folks.I am sure someone has a story bout makin a cbg in bed. Or in the Loo he he he

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Jonno, I just noticed that you are in Aussie. Regarding repairing that crack, to add to Wayfinders tips, don't forget to run the grain of any patches or reinforcing strips, across the grain of the top (not running with it). That's in case you haven't got thin ply. I've never seen a proper cigar box either, except for the one I have that's 100mm square.
    Taff
    • Yeah we fellow Aussies Taffey.Few about. Thanx for the tip about cross graining. The box lid is pretty flimsy. Guess that's par for the course. Well, time to get back into it. Cheers. Jonno
  • 306572798?profile=original306573869?profile=originalYou asked for it Jonno......like man needs more than one guitar, I'm spoilt with more than one workspace.

This one is away from the house and has a louder sound system.

Cheers Taff

• Envious as hell Taffy.

Here is a nifty little thingie I use for sanding in a curve etc. You can get various sizes and they are sticky so you can attach sand paper to. They are used for gettin lint off clothing. I paid a mere 75 cents for a 3 pack of these little fellas. They work a treat
      • Woohoo. Finally got me self a cigarbox at a Salvos store. Couldnt believe it. And the icing on the cake was findinh in the same store a Stanley wood plane.Cost for the two = $16 bucks. Not sure how much the boxes are usually but I payed $6. But the plane. Heck they are about 90 bucks. A song for 10 bucks. I can finally do a git with a cigarbox.

• Well does'nt this thread cover some issues.
    As well as building hints and tips we're sharing co- habitation hints and tips.

I've been married just over 50 years and doing guitar work most of that time, even worked on the kitchen table, and never had any negative feedback. Sorry no hints or tips. However I do have pictures of my kids repairing and playing guitars, and three of my grandkids too, doing the same.

The only comments I've had over the years is when my wife comes into my workshop she says....how long you had that or where did you get that.
    Taff
    • My co-habiting days are long gone.Married to cbg hobby now he he.
      Love to see some more work space shotz and stories. Keep em comin folks
  • I do most of my work at the kitchen table, which means I often don't have a table to eat at. I don't build a lot, and only have a few hand tools-pocketknife, flush cut saw, miter box, a few rasps and a cordless drill-so this usually isn't a problem.
    However, someone recently wrote a little article about me online, and I've gotten a little attention; I currently have eight boxes to build for an event in three weeks. Usually takes me 4-6 evenings to build a guitar.
    I have a wife and two kids-5yo & 18months-and my wife is currently pretty unhappy with me.
    • Haha!
      Thanks for the tips, ya'll.
      You're right-I do need to figure out a way to get Reagan in the mix. If I can get her to sit still for a few seconds. My wife and kids are actually outta town for a few days-I've gotten more work done in twelve hours than I usually do in a week! Gonna try f-holes on a couple of the gittys I'm taking to this upcoming show. Never done that before, but I figure between my razor knives and a hacksaw blade, I can manage.
      I kinda put a lot into the whole "no power tools" thing, but I gotta tell ya, I'm seriously considering a band saw.
      And a shop.
      • I only have a few tools. My power tools are a drill and a dremel. The dremel is nice, but I really wear out the attachments fast. I am going to do an f hole job soon, and just drill out little hole, and do the rest with a dremel. 

This reply was deleted.