I was wondering what would be a good fret board material? I was thinking about lamenit flooring, but was not sure, and really not thrilled about the look....I just kinda want something that fits over the neck and the box when I lay it on. Keep in mind, I don't have a planer or a band saw, so I am kinda going out on a limb here on what I would need.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• +5 on the oak strip from Lowes/HD. Remember, those not in America, we might have different materials/dimensions and certainly have different stores.

-WY
  • I haave heard only good things about laminate flooring for fretboards, and as soon as my current stock of wenge wood runs out I will be giving it a go (first off a stand bass 2 string)....
  • I used some EPI wood. Comes in 5/4 and is used for decking in some areas. Finishes well, and is very hard.
  • One more option: Many hobby shops carry Midwest wood sheet (3" x 24") in many thicknesses and varieties . I like to use the 1/8" thickness and overlay the box several frets. I have used cherry, walnut and mahogany on my builds. The sheets have cost me less than $5 each and you can get two fretboards if you use 2x for necks.
  • this is what i use too.

Tres Seaver said:
    I've been using 1/4" x 2" red oak from HomeDepot / Lowes: it fits directly on top of the 1" x 2" neck, and can be stained or finished as you like.
  • I use the oak as well; it's cheap in these sizes and takes a stain well if you want contrasting color. Adds stiffness to the neck too.
    I've used 1/4" maple as well; not quite as stiff as the oak but it looks nice with dark position markers.
  • You can use the 1/4 inch stuff like Tres says, or you could use 1/8 inch luan flooring material. I spent 50 cents for a piece that will make about 15 fingerboards.
  • I've been using 1/4" x 2" red oak from HomeDepot / Lowes: it fits directly on top of the 1" x 2" neck, and can be stained or finished as you like.
This reply was deleted.