I have planned a new Canjo build. Big round tin for a body, a length of 2x2 for the neck and open G tuning, rather straight forward, probably the nearest I will ever build a CBG.

so for this build I want to do something I have never done before and lay some frets into the neck. I have a rough idea as to what I am doing on the actual laying of the frets into the neck, but I am confused over gauges and sizes of the fretwire.

So my question is what would be suitable for a CBG. the neck is going trough the body so, i'm thinking something that is sort of raised in its height, but again I am clueless on this, please help.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• When you use frets you need to be able to adjust/change/correct the string height at both the nut and the bridge, getting it close enough you don't bagel-slice your fingers trying to press a string all the way down, but just far enough the strings  don't buzz against the frets.

• Hi, as a guide you could say that the smaller size wire would suit smaller sized instruments and necks. So small wire better suits mandolin, uke, banjo. Getting to full size guitars its a matter of player/maker preference and go from thin acoustic to large  jumbo electric guitar or bass.

A note to remember is the higher the fret off the fingerboard, as in jumbo, the more chance of bending/stretching the strings out of tune whilst playing or capoing, a softer technique may be required. I'd would go for fret wire suited to a banjo neck for a three stringer, but really whatever you feel comfortable with.

Cheers Taff

• Very interesting Taffy and very helpful, I'm not one that is much for string bending whilst playing. I tend to use a Slide for such effects.

I intend to make use of the open G tuning and using it mainly as a rhythm instrument to strum out chords.

I think you are right though, Wire suited to banjo necks may be the best way to go.

This reply was deleted.