I've got a guitar built on an arturo fuente box, one with only one side papered (the top, now the back) and nice paper trim along all the edges. Any suggestions on what kind of finish would best seal the paper so that it can survive at least some abuse?

I've already made the guitar but don't mind taping off the neck and reso cone, finishing the neck with something else, etc.

Thanks!

Views: 2820

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tested TruOil on the inside and it did not mar the gold on the lable, so I very carefully sanded the box right up to the tape and put a coat of TruOil, being careful of the paper.

I'll give it a few more coats over the weekend and see how it goes. I mostly wanted to smooth out the wood, which is quite rough and hairy.

I've done the polyspray on vintage paper boxes before and they end up looking a bit too glossy for me, so the paper on this one will just have to take it on the chin.

Fitzhugh said:
Dianne, that is a beautiful box. One sorta on topic note that may well be old news: I was trying to mask the paper while treating the wood and just learned the hard way that painters' tape really is different than masking tape. I masked off with normal masking tape, even stuck it to the wall a few times first, and tested... came off with no hints of problems. Problem was I then left it on for a couple weeks until I got back to working on that one. Today I removed it and it stuck too heavily to some of the paper, stripping off the top layer in a few places. If you do mask, try the blue tape, or better yet, the blue or green delicate surface tape - I saw a few types of blue painters' tape, including different types by the same company.
No great loss, but it that's because it wasn't a perfect box to start with.
Oops, I was lazy, knew I should have taken the few seconds to check... Diane, not Dianne.

I just used polyspray yesterday, and yeah - too shiny, and that was the low gloss or satin or whatever. I like it more now that I used some 600 grit at the end, but I'm curious to hear how you like truoil. There was a suggestion earlier on this thread to try it. I looked for some just a few hours ago and that hw store didn't have any, but that was the lesser of local hardware stores. Please report back how it goes.
TruOil is a gunstock oil, and not so easy to find in Chicago, what with the handgun ban and all. A friend brought me some back from the hinterlands.

So far with one coat the color is much improved and the paper looks unharmed. I burnished it up with a bit of brown paper and I"ll give it another coat tonight.

I am very leery of using masking tape anymore on a paper box, I had the same problem. Even the blue stuff lifted the ink right off the paper. Sooooo frustrating at the time.

Fitzhugh said:
Oops, I was lazy, knew I should have taken the few seconds to check... Diane, not Dianne.

I just used polyspray yesterday, and yeah - too shiny, and that was the low gloss or satin or whatever. I like it more now that I used some 600 grit at the end, but I'm curious to hear how you like truoil. There was a suggestion earlier on this thread to try it. I looked for some just a few hours ago and that hw store didn't have any, but that was the lesser of local hardware stores. Please report back how it goes.
I used Shellac on a recent build "Rosalia" and it worked well on both the raw wood and the paper labels. It does dry to a gloss on the paper, but a nice satin on the wood, if , and that is a big if, you put it on right! I wish I would have read about how to use it BEFORE putting it on, but I'm too impatient for that. Luckily, you can use denatured alchohol to remove it a try again! There are ways to make it less glossy too if you want. Neat stuff, and it dries very fast.
Deft is the best, spray it on light. you can do a couple of coats as necessary. I like the satin finish.
jason.
Okay, folks, TruOil is my new favorite for pretty much anything and everything. Nice rich color, does not mess with a coated label (but you need to be tidy going around those tax stamp ones), dries fast and is neither glossy nor flat.

I also just used it on an old Royal Jamaica cedar box, and it looks lush and delicious. Put a piece of brown paper on a sanding block to burnish between coats.

Diane in Chicago said:
TruOil is a gunstock oil, and not so easy to find in Chicago, what with the handgun ban and all. A friend brought me some back from the hinterlands.

So far with one coat the color is much improved and the paper looks unharmed. I burnished it up with a bit of brown paper and I"ll give it another coat tonight.

I am very leery of using masking tape anymore on a paper box, I had the same problem. Even the blue stuff lifted the ink right off the paper. Sooooo frustrating at the time.

Fitzhugh said:

Then I gotta try TruOil. I've been using Danish oil and like it a lot too, very forgiving and not too shiny. Off to the gun shop (we have a lot of them here).

Diane in Chicago said:
Okay, folks, TruOil is my new favorite for pretty much anything and everything. Nice rich color, does not mess with a coated label (but you need to be tidy going around those tax stamp ones), dries fast and is neither glossy nor flat.

I also just used it on an old Royal Jamaica cedar box, and it looks lush and delicious. Put a piece of brown paper on a sanding block to burnish between coats.

Diane in Chicago said:

Fitzhugh said:

Gotta find a gun shop open tomorrow. As for shellac, I just have to get over being intimidated by what little I've read. There's something about tradition, like with hide glue.

I'm trying tung oil finish on a neck right now. I got tung oil finish and not pure tung oil by mistake. It's nice, quite understated, but feels fantastic. From what I've read real tung oil is a different, and better, beast... much stronger finish in the end but still feels mostly natural. I'll definitely use some form of tung oil again on necks for the feel.

Polyurethane was a good choice for the build for a child, seems strong, but I don't much like the plastic feeling I ended up with.

Next two will be tru oil and shellac. Only way to know for sure is to try them, right? And it makes a great excuse to build more.
I like the Tung oil too, but not near paper labels, it seeps into the paper and does not dry. For any all-wood applications, the only real difference for me is that the TruOil dries really fast -- like an hour -- compared with the Tung which has to sit overnight and be rubbed out. At least the way I do it. I slather it on, drink a cup of coffee and then rub off all the excess I can with brown paper. Go to bed. Wake up and do it again. A lovely finish, no question, but takes a while. ( Manila drawing paper works, too.)

I may not know what I am talking about, but I believe TruOil has a hardener in it so the oil sets up quickly. Tung oil is just the oil, and you have to let Mother Nature do it the old fashioned way, with time.

Fitzhugh said:
Gotta find a gun shop open tomorrow. As for shellac, I just have to get over being intimidated by what little I've read. There's something about tradition, like with hide glue.

I'm trying tung oil finish on a neck right now. I got tung oil finish and not pure tung oil by mistake. It's nice, quite understated, but feels fantastic. From what I've read real tung oil is a different, and better, beast... much stronger finish in the end but still feels mostly natural. I'll definitely use some form of tung oil again on necks for the feel.

Polyurethane was a good choice for the build for a child, seems strong, but I don't much like the plastic feeling I ended up with.

Next two will be tru oil and shellac. Only way to know for sure is to try them, right? And it makes a great excuse to build more.
Diane in Chicago said:
So I imagine the TruOil is no good for the tax stamps? Any idea what kind of finish would work well with those thinner stamp/stickers?
I like the brown paper wipe down - all my rags end up with dog hair no matter how much they get washed.
according to lmii.com tru-oil is linseed oil plus other oils, and spiffy magic stuff to make it do its thing. Quick dry time and ease of application, leaves label alone... has me sold. As for uncoated labels, I read about spraying with hair spray (mask the rest) but spray fixer from an art store would probably be best.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
I think I am going to try some brush on poly in matte finish, put on with a fairly dry sponge brush. But I'll test on a scrap box first. The sponge brush will let you control where the poly is going to go, and frankly I hate aerosol anything.

Scotty C. said:
Diane in Chicago said:
So I imagine the TruOil is no good for the tax stamps? Any idea what kind of finish would work well with those thinner stamp/stickers?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thanks AGP# Glad you liked  my version ! appreciated !"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"You are very observant Andries! Some of the Slingers are more consistent than others and I…"
1 hour ago
David L. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
"Not sure how accurate the lyrics are (link to the lyrics site at the bottom) "Internet…"
1 hour ago
David L. liked David Hopkins's photo
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
J. D. Woods posted a discussion

Song lyrics for Steve's new song

Hey Cigar Boxers,Just listened to Seasick Steve's new song, Internet Cowboys. Does anybody know…See More
2 hours ago
AGP # commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"A Different, but very Likeable take on a Classic Blues Song :-)"
3 hours ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's video
3 hours ago
T-Gripped liked David Hopkins's photo
8 hours ago
Jim Weaver updated their profile
9 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"I tryed something differend whit the crossroad consept, thanks for listening ! appreciated !"
10 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->