What do you like in an instrument?   Do you like them pretty?   Fancy?   Different?   Well worn?   Do you like pretty woods and a pretry back of the guitar?  Big or small-  does size matter?

I like a smaller instrument and cbs fit the bill.  Comfy.  :).   If I am chording or picking, I want low action, good  tone and volume, no buzz.....   And I like bass over treble.  

If I am using a slide, I like higher action, but still want to be able to finger fret.

I admire the pretty and fancy builds on the nation.  But I am not real pretty and I don't like to play a pretty guitar...   I do not give a tiny crap if the back is real nice or non!   It's okay if you do!  

In CBGs, I want the above likes, + I want it electric in a way that kind of doesn't look electric...   I like the "I'm 15 years old, I scrounged this stuff and I'm gonna build me a geetar today look."   To me, that is our heritage. 

What do like, Spike?

Views: 434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am new enough to this hobby (only about 2 months in if that) that I am not sure what I like. I have been learning a lot from the folks on this site and by doing some things on my own and if I find something wrong, I fix it. I have 2 builds done and working on 2 more right now and have about 4 more builds put on paper. I love the hobby and I just love the sound. I have never heard an acoustic or electric guitar sound like a CBG. I do like the fact that each build can have its own distinct sound. Perhaps next year I can tell you want I don't like. Thank you peeps that make this site happen.
Like what you said, especially about when someone else plays one you made and it sound good and they 'get it'.   I need one of those fixes.  I am in the cbg hinterlands!

Jef Long said:

I like em all

theres so many different approaches here..

I'm real happy with the direction mine are going, I do like the old world craftsmanship of real luthiery done on the cheap, like a guy whos got the chops but doing it from pallets and cookie tins rather than pay someone to chop a tree.

but I really admire the guys like surfy who can smash one out in a couple hours and get a hundred bucks for it on ebay, finishing one in a couple hours is HARD !!

I also LOVE the recycling element, love the ingenuity I see around these parts, especially when the result is super near professional.  I'll give you one of my pics, this fork repurposed into a bridge, but Im not trying to blow my own trumpet, I been inspired by a gazillion guys round here who were doing stuff like that first,  Whether is the guys making pups from wallwarts and sewing machine bobbins or the guys still dreaming up new tuning mechanisms from the cheap hardware parts..    And the guys who bust their guts to fret with nails etc when fretwire is so cheap anyway...   Love that shit..

and Oh yeah, altho i play pretty good myself, theres nothing like hearing one of urs played by someone really awesome from across the room..

And I love that theres a few of mine that I'd prefer to part with my Les Paul than huh..

And I really like the themed builds.. and the couple dozen of you who've actually made me laugh out loud with a photo in the last couple years, love that too

Oh and I love the double take seasoned players do when they get their hands on it and theyre surprised by the quality playability and sound, thats really gratifying

I'm a fan of a good acoustic sound! Yes, tweaking the acoustics is a lot harder than tweaking the electrics, but that's one of the intriguing things about it (knowing when to stop is the hard part!). Second to that is playability. After that comes any electrics that I'd like to add. Finally comes looks. Mine almost always have an unfinished look to them because guess what...they aren't finished! So often I'm in a rush to string it up to hear how it sounds. Then I can't stand to stop playing it long enough to take it apart to put all of the finishing touches on it. There's also a bit of superstition there that I fear I won't be able to get it back to where I liked it.

For me sound and playability come first. The intonation must be correct, the action must be low enough that when I finger chords I don't lose intonation, but not so low that I can't play slide. I don't want it to buzz, and I like it to play well both acoustically and electric. I like both fretted and unfretted instruments. After that, I like a good smooth rounded neck that feels nice in the hand with a good smooth finish (I use lacquer, tung oil, and shellac depending upon my mood and taste).

I like to lacquer my cigar boxes so they shine and I like my necks to have a nice finish to the wood. I also like a good rough instrument that looks crude but plays well, though I tend towards a nice finish on something I build. After that, it just depends. I may use used parts, or new. I may use eye bolts or home made wood pegs for tuners. I may just buy a good set of commercial machine tuners. Just depends on my mood.

In the end, it has to play well, be sturdy and hold up to long time wear and tear. Anything else is just candy for they eye and the hand. If it doesn't sound good when played, then what's the point?

Brian Hunt.

Mark, your cedar builds are among those I admire the most.

Mark Lillo said:
I try to improve with each one I build. I have done 27 now and the last 15 or so I have been very happy with. First I try to focus on playability, then sound. Once I have that I try to make them look good to me. It has been hard to let some of them go when they are done. I would like to keep them all. But I figure I have done alright if I want it when I am finished. And so far I have had no complaints from any customers.
Good on you and your builds to come. It's mostly a fun journey.  I have been fickle about some guitars that were 'lifetime' guitars and now are long gone.  I just love cbgs and I do not think that will go away.

Lonman said:
I am new enough to this hobby (only about 2 months in if that) that I am not sure what I like. I have been learning a lot from the folks on this site and by doing some things on my own and if I find something wrong, I fix it. I have 2 builds done and working on 2 more right now and have about 4 more builds put on paper. I love the hobby and I just love the sound. I have never heard an acoustic or electric guitar sound like a CBG. I do like the fact that each build can have its own distinct sound. Perhaps next year I can tell you want I don't like. Thank you peeps that make this site happen.
Yes sir!

Brian Hunt said:

For me sound and playability come first. The intonation must be correct, the action must be low enough that when I finger chords I don't lose intonation, but not so low that I can't play slide. I don't want it to buzz, and I like it to play well both acoustically and electric. I like both fretted and unfretted instruments. After that, I like a good smooth rounded neck that feels nice in the hand with a good smooth finish (I use lacquer, tung oil, and shellac depending upon my mood and taste).

I like to lacquer my cigar boxes so they shine and I like my necks to have a nice finish to the wood. I also like a good rough instrument that looks crude but plays well, though I tend towards a nice finish on something I build. After that, it just depends. I may use used parts, or new. I may use eye bolts or home made wood pegs for tuners. I may just buy a good set of commercial machine tuners. Just depends on my mood.

In the end, it has to play well, be sturdy and hold up to long time wear and tear. Anything else is just candy for they eye and the hand. If it doesn't sound good when played, then what's the point?

Brian Hunt.

I forgot to mention that the very first thing (from conception of an instrument) is the purpose I want it to serve. I have yet to build two instruments for the same purpose whether it is a change in the number of strings, scale length, acoustic/electric properties, string height, etc. I guess that's really the first thing I look for in an instrument...what will I use it for?

I view CBG's as functional folk art. The one's that catch my eye and that I aspire to create can be sleek and smooth, or recycled and surprising. New ideas or well executed and visually balanced instruments are both great. Not trying to recreate a Les Paul or Martin - but something unique that has a purpose beyond wall art.

From a playing perspective, I like a low action - as low as I can get it - and wide string spacing so my fat fingers don't get in the way. I've made more than a couple than match a standard string spacing and I can't play them at all.

Function first, Form second.

I appreciate instruments that have accurate intonation, full rich sustaining tone, loud volume, and ease of playing. Appearance is important as a street musician because it becomes eye candy and attracts attention. Thanks for asking. Enjoy. 

I'd like to revise my answer to.....

One of each please!

Hi John, I'm glad to hear from you and enjoy your comments and video contributions on CBG's here on CBN.

I'm new to this instrument having just finished my first build, but I can tell you I have searched for 45 years or more to find that certain sound I remember hearing my grandpa play. I've had various guitars over the years both expensive and yard sale finds, electrics and acoustics in the quest.

When I heard my first CBG rendition played by a master blues man and entertainer, I knew that was the soulful sound of my childhood memories. And that I had to have at least one of them.

So for me, it's all about the sound. The asthetics are great and we have some very talented folks on here building some beautiful pieces of art as well some players that are simply a pleasure to our ears. Most of them sharing what they know and love without reservation. But what I am aiming for in my builds is preserving the sound of the original players and the music they brought us that not only changed American Music History but enfluenced the world as a whole.

Because of them, imho, the world is a better place.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Bernie Edwards commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"The cherries make it really even more special!  Great project with a unique and special result!"
5 hours ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
6 hours ago
Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
6 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
6 hours ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
6 hours ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
8 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Im assuming the wood is cherry?"
11 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Wow wee!!! That is gorgeous!! "
11 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
14 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
15 hours ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
15 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
15 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->