People often find neat ways or different tools/items to shape the back of the neck.

I start off using a 1/2" roundover bit(3/4" on 6 string guitars) to knock off the edges and get me started. I use a rasp file(flat on one side and half round on the other), utility knife blades as scrapers, sandpaper and a cheap serrated edge steak knife as a scraper(works amazingly well).

What do you use?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you everybody for all the suggestions and video. Anybody needing this info will find this thread very helpful.

• Wow, Richey Kay, cool video. I love the idea of doing the rasp work first, then the spokeshave. I"ve been doing it backwards! Also getting that neck out in open air will really speed up the process. I guess I need a sturdier work bench.

• Thanks Bluesheart! I should clarify that the only rasping I do before the spokeshave is the shoulder and heel of the neck. I then remove material with the spokeshave and round everything off with the rasps. Looks like we do it in the same order :-)
  • I have used almost every conceivable method to make my necks; draw knife, spoke shave, router, orbital sander, spindle sander, hand plane, wood rasps, etc., however, I don't know how I EVER got along without my new Dragon files from Stewmac.  Finally, wood rasps in my shop that actually work like they should.  Pricey, but well worth every penny.

• I rough out the heel with a coping saw and then use a hand held oscillating sander with 60 grit and then 220 grit to shape the heel, neck and headstock.  I finish up with hand sanding with 400 and then 600.  I've used maple, oak and babinga for necks and maple, oak, tiger wood, wenge and paduk for fret boards.

• Sharp things

• I use rough rasps, then a very cheap wood shaver to get the shape I want like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Surform-Shaver-Tool-115/dp/B0001IWC...

Then sand it down to finish.  Takes a while but if I go down the electric tools route I won't enjoy it anymore.

• 1.  Surform, rasp, spokeshave.

2.  Cabinet scrapers.

3.  Sandpaper.

• If i'm just making a simple c b g,i just run a roundover bit at about 1/2 set to make it feel ok.If i'm tapering/shaping on hardwood,the sureform just doesn't cut it,so a good rasp to remove mass,then a spokeshave and sanding to finish,a quality rasp leaves little hard work to finish

This reply was deleted.