I just completed my 2nd build, a cookie tin CBG done in a more primitive style with eyebolt tuners and wire brad frets. I used the leftover strings (1st, 2nd, and 6th strings) from the GLS set I bought for my 1st build where I used the 3rd , 4th, and 5th strings. I hate to see those extra strings go to waste, so now I'm having some difficulty tuning this instrument, any suggestions as to how I should tune it or should I give up and just buy new strings? I have the 1st two strings tuned drop d, and they sound good, but that big string, I'm not sure what to do with it.

CBG2B.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i've got the same problem!!!

i'm going to use the low e and d strings to make some roaring one string diddley bows and the high e strings will be great for single string duclimer fretted melody instruments!!! i'm looking forward to some single string necks with toothpick frets, i love playing those things!
  • I have done what Wes suggested and ordered the 3 string guages I wanted in bulk(dozen packs) from Just Strings.com. I Have started building some 4-stringers lately and that messes up everything...including getting two guitars out of a set(6) of tuners..Ha!
  • I've been doing that to a degree, just didnt know the terminology.
    I play mostly by ear and what I've figured out on my own over the years. pentatonic scale is the only scale I know, but not completely. scales and bar chords confuse me, but I can play basic chords in std tuning pretty well, and i'm pretty good at chord changes, I can do some bar chords, some basic runs and turnarounds.
    I've been pickin at the guitar for 30 years I dont expect I'll ever be a great guitarist, I just enjoy the small accomplishments as I pick and learn, any guidance along the way, is more than appreciated
    Thanks keni,

Keni Lee Burgess said:
    When you play two notes at the same time, this is called a Doublestop. It is actually a little chord fragment.
    A simple 3 note major chord contains the 1,3, and 5 tones from the major scale.
    The major chord contains 3 possible doublestops
    1-3
    1-5
    3-5
    Doublestops are used many times with single notes while playing lead.
    Here is a classic example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEq62iQo0eU

Do you know the pentatonic Blues scale? Chuck is getting his doublestop licks from this scale. Do you see his first finger playing that little bar while he uses his other fingers to reach for notes?
    Enjoy.
  • When you play two notes at the same time, this is called a Doublestop. It is actually a little chord fragment.
    A simple 3 note major chord contains the 1,3, and 5 tones from the major scale.
    The major chord contains 3 possible doublestops
    1-3
    1-5
    3-5
    Doublestops are used many times with single notes while playing lead.
    Here is a classic example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEq62iQo0eU

Do you know the pentatonic Blues scale? Chuck is getting his doublestop licks from this scale. Do you see his first finger playing that little bar while he uses his other fingers to reach for notes?
    Enjoy.
  • I like building a low down mean diddley bow with my low E's - the longer the scale the better too.

Shane Speal said:
    I have more low E strings than I know what to do with!!! It really is a common problem.
  • if 1st is the top string (fatt one) E B E would be just grand. If its the other way u could do the same thing! But its gonna sound like a nashville tuning if its too many skinny strings.
  • I use A ,D and G for my 3 strings. Then use the high E for my 1 stringers,which I build on average anywhere from 4 to 10 a week.The only 2 strings I have left over is the big E and the B.
  • Another way to solve your problem is to buy in bulk from juststrings.com and only buy the strings you need.

-WY
  • I have more low E strings than I know what to do with!!! It really is a common problem.
  • You're completly correct,
    What I meant was I tuned it to Drop D, but I did it just as I would have on a six string
    So actually I had it tuned D-B-E it didnt work so well . I have been playing with it for a while and just got the top string where I was liking the sound, and oddly enough it is just as you say E-B-E where it sounds best.
    Thanks tres, I knew someone here could steer me right

Tres Seaver said:
    You say "I have the 1st two strings tuned drop D", but that doesn't match what I know as "drop D" on a six-string, where it means to drop the 6th string (the low E) down to a D, leaving the others at their "normal" pitches. In your case, you could downtune the 1st string to a D, the second to an A, and the third (the low one) to a "D", giving you DAD like a dulcimer, but with an extra octave between the low D and the A . Or just tune them low E-B-E, and play any E blues.
This reply was deleted.