Weedwacker Bass Questions

So I've been toying with the idea of building a CBBG with weedwacker strings. I know that I've seen a few of them around on here but have mostly been photos without too much info. Does anyone have any recommendations on string diameter and scale length related to relative tunings? Any help is appreciated!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have 0.0155, 0.130, 0.105, 0.090 and smaller just tell me how many of each and how long and I'll wrap them and send them in a small flat rate USPS box... then you can pay me by paypal...

the best,

Sam

Brian Hilbers said:
    Sounds great , Sam! You tell me how to get you the dough. I'm actually thinking, E-.155, A-.120-ish, D-.105, G-.095. The current D and G (same size as above) have good projection and playability. I'd just as soon match 'em up with four of whatever you have in those size neighborhoods. Thanks, Brian
    I think my next project is a baritone ukelele, using one of those cheese-ball pressed wood bowls. The bowl is
    unwarped, has a good thunk, and was worth a quarter at a thrift store. I gotta work out the logistics for the rest.

Wichita Sam said:
    Got themm.... tell me how much you need.... how about $ 1 per string plus postage... bargain huh?
    Brian Hilbers said:
    I threw some commercial weedwackers on a washtub standup, and I'm thinking it's a little overkill for the engineering, with a whopping .177 E-string. I'm thinking that ideally the E would be .155, but I'm having a hard time finding a .120-ish
    size for A. The .095 and .080 are no brainers. Any suggestions?
  • Sounds great , Sam! You tell me how to get you the dough. I'm actually thinking, E-.155, A-.120-ish, D-.105, G-.095. The current D and G (same size as above) have good projection and playability. I'd just as soon match 'em up with four of whatever you have in those size neighborhoods. Thanks, Brian
    I think my next project is a baritone ukelele, using one of those cheese-ball pressed wood bowls. The bowl is
    unwarped, has a good thunk, and was worth a quarter at a thrift store. I gotta work out the logistics for the rest.

Wichita Sam said:
    Got themm.... tell me how much you need.... how about $ 1 per string plus postage... bargain huh?
    Brian Hilbers said:
    I threw some commercial weedwackers on a washtub standup, and I'm thinking it's a little overkill for the engineering, with a whopping .177 E-string. I'm thinking that ideally the E would be .155, but I'm having a hard time finding a .120-ish
  • Got themm.... tell me how much you need.... how about $ 1 per string plus postage... bargain huh?

Brian Hilbers said:
  • I threw some commercial weedwackers on a washtub standup, and I'm thinking it's a little overkill for the engineering, with a whopping .177 E-string. I'm thinking that ideally the E would be .155, but I'm having a hard time finding a .120-ish
  • Wichita Sam said:
    Tres,

I'm a little surprised that you could get a true low "E" using that o,o95 line. I was never happy with it. If you want to try the next size up email me your address and then paypal me back the postage.....

The E is a little quiet, compared to the others, but the pitch is fine. Now that we are back in our own town, I'll try looking around for the larger gauge line here: if I can't find any, I'll take you up on yourkind offer. Many thanks!.

Aren't those WWCBBasses fun?

Yes indeed: my son has played it a *ton* in the last week.

• Tres,

I'm a little surprised that you could get a true low "E" using that o,o95 line. I was never happy with it. If you want to try the next size up email me your address and then paypal me back the postage.....

Aren't those WWCBBasses fun?

the best,

Sam

Tres Seaver said:
    Ben, the build we did last week is a full 40" scale, through-neck fretless CGB:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/xn/detail/2592684:Album:91476

We used 0.95 for both E and A strings, 0.85 for the D, and 0.60 for the G. We thought
    about using .105 for the E, but didn't want to blow $20 for the big spool (the others were
    available in smaller sizes)>

I don't see *any* bowing at all on the 1x3 red oak neck.
  • Ben, the build we did last week is a full 40" scale, through-neck fretless CGB:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/xn/detail/2592684:Album:91476

We used 0.95 for both E and A strings, 0.85 for the D, and 0.60 for the G. We thought
    about using .105 for the E, but didn't want to blow $20 for the big spool (the others were
    available in smaller sizes)>

I don't see *any* bowing at all on the 1x3 red oak neck.
  • The longer one will have more tension.

Wade said:
    I've been trying to figure this out-just not sure- If I build 2 basses. One is 32" scale and the other is, lets say 40" scale. Same strings and tuning. Which will have more tension?
  • I've been trying to figure this out-just not sure- If I build 2 basses. One is 32" scale and the other is, lets say 40" scale. Same strings and tuning. Which will have more tension?
  • If you want to get this a go, send me your address and I'll send you 4 foot of each of 6 sizes (up to 0.155")... Pay postage and $6 if you can.... I have to buy bulk to get different sizes, like Doc said. Don't worry about truss rods, but I'd recommend building with oak for strength. You can build fretted or fretless (I've done both)... I like three stringers and two stringers, but you can do whatever you like. Also, I tend toward using Bass Tuners, since I tend to use heavier gauge WW line, and even then I have to drill out for the heavier gauges, although I have used ordinary guitar tuners and also cello pegs.... anyway, if you want to talk about it, email me at wichita_sam@yahoo.com the best, Wichita Sam
This reply was deleted.