Has anyone wax potted a Teisco Del Ray pickup?

I have wax potted a Mini Humbucker with good results.  I didn't have to take the cover off.  The air bubbled out for 10 or 15 minutes.  After potting, I could not force coil sourced, micro-phonic feedback with my amps and it was an issue before.

The tape around the windings of the Teisco looks like it seals up the windings and would keep wax from penetrating.  Any suggestions of how to deal with the protective tape without harming the wire windings underneath?

Thanks,

Fred

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The vacume answer seems the best. I saw it in here on a feature article on using mini coil switches as pick ups. Very unique and brilliant idea.

Here..

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/how-to-make-a-relay-coil...

• I was wax potting some other pickups and decided to dunk the Teisco to see what would happen.  I took off the plastic cover and metal base plate, a very simple job of removing the two side screws.  The Teisco was suspended in the hot wax for about 20 minutes and I could see bubbles escaping for the first part.  The pickup winding induced feedback is now greatly reduced.  I can not tell any change in tone.

Next time I will pry a tape edge up just a little on each end where it's obvious the tape is not touching the wiring to make sure the wax will fully saturate the windings.

I haven't tried the big amp yet, but my Roland Cube 10GX could only induce the pickup winding feedback if I held the waxed pickup directly in front of the amp at full volume.

Fred

• Success!
  • You might be able to cut some feed back by making a wooden enclosure tightly around the pickup. I had some microphonic pups that I got in a semi-hollow guitar and moved them to a solid body guitar with great results.

If I'm not mistaken, there's some thin paper material inside those Gold Foil pickups that would probably be destroyed while dipping in hot wax. You would have to almost completely disassemble that pickup and the danger of tearing it up in the process is very great. I would try to enlose it as much as possible and line the enclosure with shielding paint/copper tape/aluminum tape to help out.

I'm surprised you had to wax pot a mini-bucker, most if not all problems are sorted out by using humbuckers or a dummy coil.

• I will not be able to use this pickup for the anticipated situation unless I can stop the wire coil induced feedback.  I'm not going to be able to get behind the very loud amp.  The uncontrollable squealing will not be acceptable.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Keep them coming.

Fred

• Ben did a great video last week on CcigarBoxnationTV  about putting a 0.01uF cap across the tabs of the jack to kill feedback.

• Was that for a piezo git, a git with a pickup or any configuration?

• it was a piezo, but the cap cuts the frequencies without caring what the source is.

• The reason I asked was the piezo has such high impedance compared to a regular pickup. What works well for a piezo may not have the same results with magnetic pickups.

• That reminds me of when i was building my amp. I had to figure out the right value cap for the output lines to the speaker to remove noise from the amp's output circuit.

This reply was deleted.