My new box will have a peizo transducer in it, and I wanted to wire in a volume knob, but I am not sure on the wiring...I tried to hook it up the other day, and I would turn it up and get a ton of feed back and sound, then I would turn it down and still get sound with less feed back.....cool effect, but not was i was looking for....need help on this one.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm not sure the original question was answered... where'd you go poster?

I followed this same diagram and am having the same issue the original post described: Plugging in produces sound, but turning the volume knob has subtel effects on frequencies produced but does not reduce the volume. In either position (full left or full right) it's still full volume.  Anyone have an idea how this could happen? I'm using a 500K pot and a piezo from CBGitty.  Other than the resistance rating there's no difference between using one for volume or tone, right?

Thoughts and comments welcome!

• Thank you for the diagram, works like a charm!
  • Nice to have this re-posted.
  • Yes. The higher resistance rated pots give you more range of adjustment or more gradual change. Full volume = 0 ohms. 0 Resistance is still 0 resistance, no matter the rating.
    The other part of the pot rating question is linear or audio taper. A linear taper pot will have less effect at one end of the volume range than the other. Audio taper pots compensate for this.
    Hope that clarifies thing somewhat.
  • So in the volume only schematic, maximum volume is independant of pot value? My 100K pot controlling two piezos in parallel should play as loud as if I used a 1/2 meg pot?
  • Beautifully explained!
  • Wire it up that way and see what happens. The worst thing is that it has issues and you rewire it.

Rocky7 said:
    I've wired more than a few guitars up before by using diagrams. I was just wondering why the third lug has to be grounded to the pots' case. What would happen if I didn't?
  • I've wired more than a few guitars up before by using diagrams. I was just wondering why the third lug has to be grounded to the pots' case. What would happen if I didn't?
  • Why is it so complicated? Why can't I just run the hot wire through two lugs of the pot, just adding it in the circuit?
    c# merle said:
    seems we've lost all ted's wiring diagrams, so heres the piezo with volume control

• Are you talking about feedback or humm? Wiring don't make a difference with feed back, as far as i know. But the sheilded wire will ground out the humm.

James Bush said:
    Cut your wire in 8" to 10" sections, makes about 60 to 70 pickups. go to my site for a picture http://www.mojocbg.com

James Bush said:
    The problem with that diagram is single wires. I have found that if you use a sheided conductor it will eliminate 95% of your feed back. Think of coax but on a smaller scale. What I have done is buy a 25 ft roll of RCA cable from Home depot for $6.00. split the cable by pulling it apart. now you have two 25 ft (50ft) one conductor with a sheid wire. strip the insulation at the ends and unravel the braid away from the inner conductor and twist to form the second wire (ground). strip the inner wire and solder the inner wire to the positive (tip / hot) and solder the outter braided wire to the grounds. Make sure they do not touch each other (short) This will sheild your hot wire from any freq. from your amp speaker. Do this from the piezo to the volume control, tone control to the out put jack. If you have your gain to high that will cause feedback too.
This reply was deleted.