Viol Build

A part of me has designed a Lyra Viol against my better judgement. Not to be confused with violin or viola. Mine's an inch shorter than standard guitar length and half way between classical guitar neck width and electric guitar neck width. A Lyra viol is like a quarter sized cello with six strings instead of 4 and tied on gut frets. It can be bowed or plucked so although it has an arched bridge and neck it's not as much of an arch plus the action is lower than cellos tend to be. I'm torn between a cigar box type toy or a proper instrument. I see there'should a birch drawer over at Lowe's nearly the right shape but it'seems  $50. That would save some blood and sweat though. But a more beautiful instrument won'the languish in the corner. What to do?

20180410_194849.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the info. I've put the rest of this thread in the appropriate forum.
  • Hello,

The grocery store usually gives me wine crates for free if I ask, and they tell me they go in the dumpster otherwise. Different shapes and sizes. Seems better to me than a $50 drawer. Looks like a great project. We want to see the the finished Viol. Kudos.

• Oops wrong section. My bad.
This reply was deleted.