Replies

• So I got it working with an lm386 feeding it.  This is very close to the circuit I used.  Just replace the speaker with our little LED circuit and it should light up from a piezo guitar.

I added a resistor between the battery and the LED for protection and I'm running everything off a 9v battery.  I had 3 LEDs running at one point - green, yellow, red, and almost had a VU meter effect.

306430493?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• OOOOhhhhh - this could be fun !!!!!  A fun rainy day project !!

• Yep jawbone tons of fun.  That reminds me to get out in the sunshine for a while today!

• Hey Turt - are the multiple LED's wired in series or parallel ??

• I did it both ways.  Series had all the lights switching at the same time like in the sunglasses.  Parallel was giving me some of that meter effect until I blew out a couple LEDs because I was swapping out resistors to try to increase the effect.  That's where I got lost. 

• This might be a good beginning ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klxg3nT9OBQ
    But that tie looks promising !!

• That looks pretty good too jawbone.  I was able to spend some time playing around today and found this circuit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-guide-to-LEDs/step15/Proje...

Only a battery, 2 leds and a transistor.  I didn't want to crack open my guitar, so I wired into some old sunglasses.  Works better than I thought it would except for the fact that it needs some kind of amplification.  I have a small amp that I used here, but a preamp or lm386 circuit would be the way to go if you were going to install it in a guitar. Oh, and you can't see out of them!

After doing some research, I think there are better options like David L's links that are really cheap, but it was fun to put something together with parts I had laying around. 

• 306431339?profile=originalDoes this circuit work - I'm terrible at trying to read schematics !!

This reply was deleted.