Shoot me down if that has been covered before...

I have just re-strung my CBG with strings 5-4-3, tuned to GDG. Which leaves me with the other three strings from the set, low E, and high B & E. I know EBE is another fairly common tuning, but not (as far as I know) with a 2 octave span. If I had another guitar I would give it a go, but does anyone do it?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

1. I use those strings on my own personal guitar and tune them Aad, Get some killer tunes out of it.
  • Spare strings can feed the family...they make great rabbit snares.

• So many good ideas, and they don't all involve building another guitar! Thanks to all for your input.

• I do that sort of thing all the time... been doing it for years.

• Why not try that E-B-E combo? I think there is a vid I remember seeing, maybe of Super Chikan, where the leftover strings are used for that tuning. If it hasn't been done (which I doubt, CBGers being inveterate tinkerers), stake your claim now! Build another git and use it. You could also use it for DAD, or even, maybe just barely, DGD. Give it a shot, what do you have to lose? Or make a triple wound bracelet, like pick suggests. Try braiding them. Or even better, use them as sympathetic strings inside your current build. Or use them outside to string up bits of glass or beer bottles for a wind chime.
    • I saw a vid where somebody cut up the low strings into 6" - 8" lengths, used a spring clip to hold them bent against a box lid and they worked like a snare spring . . .

• There ya go! And now I know what to use for the snare inside my cajon build. Was gonna use twisted rubber bands, but excess / old strings is waaaay better. Thanks, John, for that tidbit.
        • I tried that in my Cajon, but it was hard getting any tension on the skin.  I would up buying a cheap snare (maybe $5) and cut it in half.  screwed it to a rotating dowell for adjustment.

• Check the video at 1:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xgeViflAV8

• i  just  send them  with  the guitar  ..  they  can  do what ever they want   with   em  .. 

ie;

3 diddlys  ,  

a     2 stringer  ,  and  one  diddly

etc  ..

or  make a  bracelet  ;-)

This reply was deleted.