What I have - A fan motor that has 3 taps on the coil that goes to a switch that has low , medium , high settings. It is 110 volts AC ! What I want ti do - I would like to use a rheostat to slow the motor down to all most stop, so I can use it as a pickup winder. I want to know if and how I can do that ????

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I redid my mounting wheel so here is some pics!!

• Well yall, Here is my very first pup wound on the machine !!!

• Well I went ahead and tried something.
    I was at lowes one day and they had some of those slide dimmer switches in the mark down cart for 4 dollars so I got it.
    Took it home and wired it up to my fan motor.
    it worked with no sparks or shorts, so I turned the speed up and let it run for a while then slowed it down and let it run for a while.
    No excessive heat build up!
    So I put my practice bobbin on and started winding with sewing thread.
    I worked fairly well, now I need to do some fine adjustments and I will try the real thing when I get my wire.
    Just to let yall know....... I confired with an electrician friend of mine be for I did this and he told me the worst that could happen is that I would burn the motor up, but he didn't think it would using it for that short of time.
    I will post a pic latter.
  • Thanks, this really helps.

Skeesix said:
    Bob Harrison said:
    Thanks for the info on the rheostat. What does the out side diameters of your pullys mesure?
    Skeesix said:
    The little pulley is just what's on the end of the sewing machine motor shaft - it's 1/2" or so. The big pulley is 4.5". I couldn't find what I needed commercially, so i just made my own out of acrylic.
  • Bob Harrison said:
    Thanks for the info on the rheostat. What does the out side diameters of your pullys mesure?
    Skeesix said:
    The little pulley is just what's on the end of the sewing machine motor shaft - it's 1/2" or so. The big pulley is 4.5". I couldn't find what I needed commercially, so i just made my own out of acrylic.
  • also look for a cheap variable speed drill they are pretty easy to find in a pawn shop.
  • Thanx for all of the input, y'all are great, thats why I like this community so much.
    So now its off to find a sewing machine.
  • yup, i also use a dimmer switch on my sewing machine winder, no promlems. foot peddles on sewing machines are the same thing, their made for them.

Bob Harrison said:
    Can a ceiling fan rheostat be used on a sewing machine motor in lue of the foot pedal ?
  • i wouldnt use a reostate on just any motor it can cause problems you need to make sure your using a variable speed motor not a multi speed motor.
This reply was deleted.