As I type this, my first scarf neck is drying, and I am not ashamed to say it pretty much sucks. First times are almost never perfect, and I wasn't expecting this to be either, but the experience was disappointing. The biggest problem was that I am without the means to get a chop saw or a good circular saw, so I ended up doing it with a crosscut saw. I ended up block-planing for almost 2 hours to get the ends somewhere near flat. Sigh.

I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive jigsaw for a number of things CBG-related, including scarf cutting. Any thoughts?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I ordered a miter box yesterday that will allow me to cut at a 15 degree angle.

Thanks for the input!
  • Mitre box is the way to go!!!!!!
  • You could make the miter box yourself or buy one and cut in the angle you want on it.
    Cheers Ron.
  • Mark, Both Brett and I said build a dedicated 15 degree miter box.
    Don

Mark Werner said:
    The last time I used a scarf joint I sandwiched my neck board between two 2 x 4s and clamped the whole thing together.

Then I marked out my angle and simply cut through all three boards with a hand circular saw. Worked perfectly....
    Might have been luck.
    Cheap miter boxes only have a few "fixed" common angles, I note; the better ones are fully adjustable.
  • The last time I used a scarf joint I sandwiched my neck board between two 2 x 4s and clamped the whole thing together.

Then I marked out my angle and simply cut through all three boards with a hand circular saw. Worked perfectly....
    Might have been luck.
    Cheap miter boxes only have a few "fixed" common angles, I note; the better ones are fully adjustable.
  • Mungo Park said:
    if you make a jig, miter box you will have it for future CBG, you can't really make only one you know.
    Oh believe me, I'm finding that out already! :-)
  • You could cut it with a jig saw and clamp a board onto it as a guide to help you cut it straight, might be tricky but doable, if you make a jig, miter box you will have it for future CBG, you can't really make only one you know.
    Josh's tutorial is a super job. Cheers Ron.
  • I got the info from Josh's tutorial here:

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/group/smokehouseguitars/forum/topics/...

Scotty C. said:
    Brett Morgan said:
    Wouldn't it be better to knock up a 15 degree mitre box and cut it with a hand saw?
    So 15 degrees is the typical angle for the scarf joint?
  • Brett Morgan said:
    Wouldn't it be better to knock up a 15 degree mitre box and cut it with a hand saw?
    So 15 degrees is the typical angle for the scarf joint?
  • Perhaps a neighbor has a saw that is good for making scarf joints. I traded a bottle of root beer for a saw cut and it worked out well.
This reply was deleted.