Hey everyone,

I'm sorting out my build here and I'm struggling with what I want to do for the tailpiece. I was planning on cutting some sheet Al. to create my own (and still may) but have a some chrome trunk hinges here at may work also if I go 3-string.  

The three existing screw holes are almost (emphasis on almost) spread to accommodate a 1/2" string spacing but not quite there.  That being the case, the two outer strings would have to fan outward some. I could use some coarse threaded rod in my bridge to keep the strings where I want them but not sure if they will stay in the threads because of the angle or want to jump out.

Also, seeing as how it's a hinge with a moving hinge point, will it create enough downward pressure on the strings before the bridge??  It doesn't seem like it would, but I have seen so many people use hinges for tailpieces it must work. Maybe I'm just over thinking it some.

Thanks,

RC

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One thing: I found that sometimes after dremel-ing a hole where string would run through, the sharp edges of the hole would slice the strings and snap them. You will want to soften your edges. A trick I learned from a guitar player friend is to rub the lead of a #2 pencil in the hole. The pencil isn't really lead anymore, it's graphite which acts as a lubricant and can help keep the strings from wearing out where they rub. This works well on the edges of ferules as well.

• just goes to show, some times I look, but just dont see !!. Very Cool Idea there !!!!

• Snake hinges work well

305863930?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I like those also.  Looks like they would provide great anchoring at the rear of the box and a cool look also.

RC

• Sometimes i use a cabinet hinge. Just cut the hinge off, you now have a tacbg 002il and a bridge.

• I just noticed the tarp grommets used for vol. and tone trim rings. Very clever also!

RC

• Now that's clever.  I like it.

RC

• When I made my first CBG I used a small brass hinge on the tail piece. I screwed the hinge in place so it folded over the end of the tail piece, then drilled small holes through the tail piece itself. I then "borrowed" three small buttons from my wife's sewing box. I ran the strings through the buttons, then through the holes in the tail piece and through the screw holes on the hinge. It worked good for me.

• They are pretty cool hinges.  Weighty, and have some depth to them also.  The spread on the outer holes (center to center) measures at 3/4".  

• Those Rockler hinges look perfect for tailpieces, for 3 stringer anyway.

This reply was deleted.