Urethane over label??

I am making a CBG with this Rocky Patel box. I was thinking of giving it a light rubbing with some 0000 steel wool, then giving it a coat or two of gloss urethane to make it look purty. I am worried that if I spray anything on the label, it will soak in and screw up the label. Before I do that, has anyone done this before? Is it safe to spray over top of the label?

P4190690 (Medium).JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It should be fine. Just start with a couple really light coats to give it a good seal before you start to spray a wet coat. I've never had a problem spraying labels, but i always start very light coats.
  • Since I don't have the neck glued to the box yet, I guess now would be a good time to test that, eh?

Thanks for the suggestions!!!
  • I have not had problems but always test.test.test. I don't want to be the guy who screwed up your box . Lol. We have been experimenting with some and some clear labels i am printing. I have not run into problems yet. I like the idea of testing on the inside label as it is usually the same as the external one.
  • like roger said, test first. i test spray the lable inside the box first to see what happens. urethane or lacqure works well over most labels. i was a urethane guy till i tried lacqure. lacqure does not yellow over whites and it dries faster. hope some of this will help. good luck
  • Bright red??? Really???? Wow!!! Who woulda thunk it?

I may just tape off the label with some blue tape and do it that way, or I may just leave it alone like Doc said.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • I cant offer any advice either, except you might consider taking a box with the same type label on it and testing what works and what doesnt on THAT box before you take a chance on the perfect one your working on.
    On your test box if it doesnt work you can always use that box for something else or paint it a color when you make a CBG out of it.
    When I'm building CBG if I like the box but dont like the label or graphics on it for some reason I just sand it off and that CBG begins its new life in a bright eye catching color.
    I've noticed lately that if I paint a boring box bright ,BRIGHT red, it sells quickly, go figure.
    Thats all I have to offer as advice , as I make it simple,,,
  • Pretty box - I would leave it like that.

I have no idea about the urethane, though.
This reply was deleted.