Well I'm a bass player. And seen a few on here. I want to use a old footlocker. But I have questions. I'm thinking the 3/4 neck would be out of scale for a 30 inch footlocker. How would a 4/4 cello neck work. If so could I mouth machine runners of some sort instead of the pegs. Looking for suggestions.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do not worry about how the neck/body proportions look.

If a mariachi group isn't worried about the proportions of a Guitarrón, can you do worse?

As long as there is enough neck room for your playing style.  for me, as long as I can play comfortably all the way up to the 17th fret I'm happy.

• Thanks
  • 3/4 bass scale length 41"

4/4 cello scale length 27"

still a big difference.

HOWEVER: as a maker you are entitled to experiment/try/test/Frankenstein whatever you think might work.

you could use a cello neck, with electric bass guitar strings, and just play with the proportions of how far the tail-piece is from the bridge and nut-to-bridge scale length that still leaves you with just enough string for the tuning machines.

• Well I'm figuring not alot more than that. But it is going to be over time. So I still hunting for the body
    • Yep, that's a BIG difference. I contemplated this project for a long time. The cost was the biggest factor. I had ideas for a better bass project, but the cost for this was under $100. 

• Cello necks are way cheaper then the bass ones. Is there a trust rod? Because of the different string setup
  • I found a brown trunk. And a bent pool cue. For a pin. I think in going to have to order a neck. But is there much difference between a 4/4 cello neck and a 3/4 bass neck.
    • If search for upright bass or double bass scale, you should come across a page that will have cello scale also. I think they are close enough, you have plenty of room to place the bridge where you want. 

• This is what I want but better sounding. Using a sound rod. And a good piezo bridge pickup
  • http://youtu.be/aq-IkTpwc08
This reply was deleted.