I decided to try some Uncle Crow type builds after watching Shane's video. I'm going to try a resonator and I have a couple questions. First, will the box resonate better if I connect the reso/dish to the bottom of the box, (as well as the top)? Also, what would be the best way to install a piezo. Is sticking it directly to the dish OK or does it need to be insulated from the metal surface?

20170901_123334.jpg

20170901_123833.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Taffy Evans, great idea on pickup mounting. That's the way I'm going to do it.
  • Hi, the function of a resonator cone is to improve the volume of guitars back in the day. It acts/works like a speaker cone and vibrates due to string input. If you dampen the cone you would lessen the vibration effect and in turn effect the tone and volume. Much like touching a vibrating speaker while it's playing. Many resonator guitars have the top and back "coupled" but not by the cone/resonator itself.

It's best to experiment re pickup placement, if I fit one to the resonator itself I normally have a thin timber wafer between pickup and resonator and vary this to control tone and/or output. I hope this helps.
    Cheers Taff
This reply was deleted.