Spotted a cigar store in a local strip mall.  I had never paid any attention to it until today  (and likely wouldn't have but for all you folks and your amazing builds.)

"Sure, we sell the boxes.  $5.00 for the wood finish, $3.00 for the paper covered."

This could be bad.  Now have three boxes waiting on me and I haven't even built one yet.

Question, one of them has a rectangular window taking up almost one third of the top.  Too large for a good sounding guitar?  Should I just plan to do something else with it?

The brand is Kuba, I believe.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Cut a piece of metal or wood large enough to screw down over the window and mount your jack and controls on it.

• One shop I go to has three choices: cardboard boxes, 10 for $1; regular wood boxes (Macanudo, Arturo, etc.) $1 each, and fancy boxes individually priced (I paid $6 apiece for a Cohiba and a Rocky Patel 12yr). The other shop I go to, which I'm overdue to revisit, sells wood for $3 and cardboard for $2, and I think sometimes they get fooled by the paper, because I bought all wood, but some were charged as cardboard.
  • The one shop i frequent gives the money to the spca

Mungo Park said:

I am feeling lucky, the local shop sells them 3 for $5 and they donate the money to charity.

Cheers Ron

• Gary.. Let me know what your looking for maybe i can help you out.

gary martin said:
    You are so lucky ...my cigar shop was charging $5 AND $10 AND I BOUGHT HEAPS of him ,i also advertised him on here and now that he has got rid of his backlog of boxes he's charging up to $ 40 for a discarded package.I now get em all from the usa .its far cheaper than getting from the local shop ...??? $5 and $3 you lucky bastard.
  • The owner asked me to bring the CBG in when I get it done.  Sounded pretty interested in what I was doing with the boxes.

Jon Pruett said:
    My local shop sells them for 3 dollars each too - but ever since I gave them a nice finished cigar box guitar to hang on their wall I get all the free boxes I can carry. Might be worth trying in some of the expensive shops that like a fancy decorations too.
  • My local shop sells them for 3 dollars each too - but ever since I gave them a nice finished cigar box guitar to hang on their wall I get all the free boxes I can carry. Might be worth trying in some of the expensive shops that like a fancy decorations too.
  • I am feeling lucky, the local shop sells them 3 for $5 and they donate the money to charity.

Cheers Ron

• I have 3 by me and I smoke cigars also so I gots boxes I get em 5 for 5 and one guy gives em to me for free.
  • Okay, good to know.

I also have a 1915 Maine license plate, but not sure I want to affix it to something.

Dan Sleep said:

I have made two of those Kuba Deluxe boxes into guitars. Just make sure the plastic window is secure so that it does not buzz. The lid is a little thick to get good resonance, so I made mine with piezos in them.

One of mine I gave to Shane and I think it is hanging on the wall at Speal's Tavern now.

• What...they think you are made of raw will power?  Good luck with that!

Ben said:
    Yeah...I hear you. My shop sells them to me for $3 wood, $1.50 paper, buy one get one free.
This reply was deleted.