Hey my wonderful friends!

About to start my second build and I have two cigar boxes but they are fairly small, prob OK for a diddley bo but too small for a 3 or 4 string!

So I'm considering glueing two boxes together which as it happens would be a perfect size, now my question is? will there be an issue acustically with the sound vibrating out of the boxes? because of a partition between the centre of the finished guitar box?

If so any way arround the prob?

much appreciate any advice in advance!

Thanks

Views: 593

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are  you planning on stacking them one on top of the other or end to end? I'm guessing end to end. You could cut a large opening in the ends where they meet , making it one larger box. I did a 3 box dulcimer and "ported" the ends where the boxes meet.

Yes they will be end to end!
Can you explain exactly what you mean by cutting opening?
They can't be completely opened as I assume I'd need enough surface to be glued!!

WEll, I thought I have a photo of the inside but can't find it now. I cut most of the ends off of the boxes but left a flange about 1/2" around the ends. I made a cardboard template of the size I wanted the opening and also to make sure the openings and the flanges lined up. Then I drilled through the flanges and bolted the boxes together with machine screws, nut and washers. I then put CA glue on the ends of the threads so that they will not vibrate loose.

Yes very similar to what I'm doing although they side to side as opposed to end to end! Pity you lost the inside pick be nice to see! Ps pretty cool guitar!:-)

If I get a chance I can remove a few screws and take a shot inside if you want. All 3 boxes will open together!

If its not any trouble that would be great but I dont want to put you out either!

This has boxes one on top of the other lined with thin ply, you could use the same method end to end

Thanks

that looks really sturdy very well done!

thanks for the pic!

It helped that the bottom box was the type where the lid sits on top of the box rather than between the ends like the one used for the upper box (that's as clear as mud, hope you know what I mean)

Hey Scruggy! I'm a new member and had problems logging in, so you probably already got your answer and are on your way. I wanted my first post to help someone out like all of you have helped me. I just did a two-box join dulcimer and it went great - solid as a rock, glued only. Didn't use the lids (used a solid cedar soundboard) just the boxes. You can see the build on my fb page at roughcutguitars. Just scroll down to the start of "mystery build". If you want any tips from what I learned just post - I'll check back, but it looks like you got all the help you need :-) Best, Tom

Thanks for your reply Tom, will check out your mystery build! thanks again!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Piezo feedback

Started by Jerry Draper in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Jerry Draper 5 hours ago. 9 Replies

Your take on this bizarre guitar

Started by Infirmity Citrus President in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans yesterday. 8 Replies

Guitar Amp

Started by Chase N Williams in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig Sep 21. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Let’s talk Aeolian…

Posted by BrianQ. on August 27, 2022 at 12:05am 0 Comments

Building a Violin w/ GITTY Parts

Posted by Brad Craig on August 11, 2022 at 6:39pm 3 Comments

Effects Pedals

Posted by Trey Allensworth on May 26, 2022 at 10:04am 12 Comments

Latest Activity

Korrigan posted a video

Going2Cali

My rendition of the LZ classic recorded with a single 4-string tenor guitar going through 3 different effects chains to 3 separate channels. Sounds pretty hu...
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
2 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Larry Sobol
"Here’s how to Add Pics,Vids,Content: Heres how to add Pics in a Topic…"
3 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Larry Sobol
"Larry, to message someone, just click on their icon & you will go to their page? Pretty much…"
3 hours ago
Jerry Draper replied to Jerry Draper's discussion Piezo feedback
"Very helpful. I needed that. Thank you."
5 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Larry Sobol commented on Poorness Studios's blog post Saying Goodbye To a Long Time Friend
" Remember all the joy that Ellie brought into your life. It can be extremely hard to lose a…"
6 hours ago
Larry Sobol replied to Larry Sobol's discussion Aluminum License Plate in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"Brian. Larry Sobol here. Thanks for the link to the Video. Just found Mike Simpson to thank him as…"
6 hours ago
Larry Sobol replied to Larry Sobol's discussion Aluminum License Plate in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
"Mike. Larry Sobol here.  Thanks for the tips yesterday. Sorry for the slow response but Im new…"
6 hours ago
3 String Blues posted a video

Station One - Last chance for 200 miles! - 3 string cigar box guitar

Old School Blues - from the webpage https://www.reddogguitars.com There is CBGs for sale and more cigar box music#cigarboxguitar #3stringguitar #reddoggui...
7 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted a video
9 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Put Your Hand in the Hand: 2-String Surf Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"That’s encouraging Brian! We try to surprise and delight when we can. I have to admit, I have…"
9 hours ago

Music

© 2022   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->