Now this isn't something I actually have any plans right now to try, but something I am just curious about. Can you get two single coils, say from a strat, put them back to back so they are of opposite polarity, wire them together and have a humbucker. With my very (very) limited knowledge about pickups I don't see why this wouldn't work. Am I missing out on some big concept on how humbuckers work? I found some discussions about this on 'proper' guitar forums, and everyone says that It would sound rubbish but people on those forums are often such snobs when it comes to these things..... If it is possible it is certainly something I have never seen done before. Enlighten me!

Views: 4010

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what you need to do is reverse the magnetic polarity. just putting them back to back wont work. you can actualy have them spaced out and still get the hum reduction. check out the lace dually.
That would sound rubbish. To reverse the magnetic polarity as Tim says, one of them needs to be reverse wound from the other, opposite from the other so they cancel each other out, thus, bucking the hum. Taking two identical coils, turning one around is not changing anything, as they are still wound the same.
Thank you both. I was just curious but now I know, the only reason I saw given for why this wouldn't work on a similar post I saw on another site was "No you can't because the coils have to be stuck together and require a whole crap load of work." This didn't seem quite satisfactory or accurate, thank you, now I understand a bit more about humbuckers.
Flip one upside down (reverse polarity) and reverse the leads. Reversing the leads will produce the same effect as reversing the windings. Then you can have them side by side or possibly one on top of the other.

I don't see why it would sound bad (although it would look a little funny). Guitars often have their separate pickups wound this way so you get hum cancelling when two pickups are switched on. They don't even have to be right next to each other, just in proximity.

If you have the right kind of pickup (not a Strat pickup) you can actually just reverse the magnets. If you try to remove the magnets on a Strat pickup you will end up breaking the coil, because the coil is wound directly on the magnets.

Skeesix
I know very very very little about pickups and so on ... but i say .. when somebody wondering or thinking sometimes probably even silly questions ... it is still right way to learn something.

Few times ago i start discoussion " Wind two winding wire same time ? "

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/group/class101/forum/topics/wind-two-...

I got very good answers (from Ted and others) and hope i learn something, but i might be still test it ... what happend, maybe pickup burn :)
the main augument i have hear form people agianst using single coils as a humbucker is the sound tends to get muddied up. they is just too much wire or something going on there. but lace is doing it with luck so why cant you
Ted Crocker said:
In many 3 pickup strat type guitars the middle pickup is actually reverse wind/reverse polarity so when the switch is in positions 2 and 4 (neck/middle or middle/bridge) the pickup combinations are humbucking. If you have pickups like this, the middle and one of the others can be installed normally and will be hum canceling. It's easy to check magnetic polarity with a compass.

Ted

Cheers ted, that`s a great tip, will try it on a strat set I have in the cellar....
Isn't that the normal strat pickup setup? Leo Fender was pretty smart.......

Diydc said:
Ted Crocker said:
In many 3 pickup strat type guitars the middle pickup is actually reverse wind/reverse polarity so when the switch is in positions 2 and 4 (neck/middle or middle/bridge) the pickup combinations are humbucking. If you have pickups like this, the middle and one of the others can be installed normally and will be hum canceling. It's easy to check magnetic polarity with a compass.

Ted

Cheers ted, that`s a great tip, will try it on a strat set I have in the cellar....
no that was a later development but a lot of modern strats and even teles are reverse wound. and a lot of guys will say they dont sound right. so if you buy a "vintage"set of strat pickups they arn't reverse wound

Fergus Morris said:
Isn't that the normal strat pickup setup? Leo Fender was pretty smart.......

Diydc said:
Ted Crocker said:
In many 3 pickup strat type guitars the middle pickup is actually reverse wind/reverse polarity so when the switch is in positions 2 and 4 (neck/middle or middle/bridge) the pickup combinations are humbucking. If you have pickups like this, the middle and one of the others can be installed normally and will be hum canceling. It's easy to check magnetic polarity with a compass.

Ted

Cheers ted, that`s a great tip, will try it on a strat set I have in the cellar....
Oh. Ooops. Just looked it up and they only started using 5-way switches in 1977. I did not know that!

Tim said:
no that was a later development but a lot of modern strats and even teles are reverse wound. and a lot of guys will say they dont sound right. so if you buy a "vintage"set of strat pickups they arn't reverse wound

Fergus Morris said:
Isn't that the normal strat pickup setup? Leo Fender was pretty smart.......

Diydc said:
Ted Crocker said:
In many 3 pickup strat type guitars the middle pickup is actually reverse wind/reverse polarity so when the switch is in positions 2 and 4 (neck/middle or middle/bridge) the pickup combinations are humbucking. If you have pickups like this, the middle and one of the others can be installed normally and will be hum canceling. It's easy to check magnetic polarity with a compass.

Ted

Cheers ted, that`s a great tip, will try it on a strat set I have in the cellar....
wow i knew early strats had three way switchs but didnt know they where there for so long.
Apparently you could jam the switch between the 2 of the positions and it worked! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Stratocaster)

Tim said:
wow i knew early strats had three way switchs but didnt know they where there for so long.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources


Forum

String grounding

Started by John B Treutlein in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans 7 hours ago. 1 Reply

DYI Box

Started by Jerry Draper in Using cigarboxnation.com - posting, profiles, web help. Last reply by John B Treutlein 22 hours ago. 12 Replies

Neck though corner

Started by Engblom in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Infirmity Citrus President Jan 28. 2 Replies

Canjo pickups

Started by David Blackburn in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Byrd Franklin Dec 22, 2022. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

A Tribute

Posted by Ghostbuttons on January 15, 2023 at 12:00pm 1 Comment

Let’s talk Aeolian…

Posted by BrianQ. on August 26, 2022 at 5:05pm 0 Comments

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on AGP #'s photo
27 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
28 minutes ago
Bernie Edwards commented on AGP #'s photo
5 hours ago
Taffy Evans liked Jerry Draper's discussion DYI Box
6 hours ago
Taffy Evans replied to John B Treutlein's discussion String grounding
"Hi, it will be ok, but if using a piezo pickup there is no need to earth to the strings. This is…"
7 hours ago
AGP # posted photos
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

My 5 WORST Musical Creations (least useful DIY instruments)

"and Thats What Counts!! thanks for showing us ,to do a voice over,whit your own Music and special…"
12 hours ago
John B Treutlein liked John B Treutlein's discussion New member with a new build nearly done
12 hours ago
John B Treutlein replied to John B Treutlein's discussion New member with a new build nearly done
"Thank you Taffy,appreciate the help,I just finished grounding for the strings and the next step is…"
12 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

FORD Hubcap slide BCB 2023

"Hia Keith ! thank you for your LIKE Vote ! Here  at BcB we do like your effort  ,we do…"
12 hours ago
John B Treutlein posted discussions
12 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Devil in Disguise: 2-String Surf SLG License Plate Guitar (Not a Cigar Box Guitar)

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 139th Zoom Mtg 01/30/23. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/downloadCBG Main Songbook...
13 hours ago

Music

© 2023   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->