Tuning gdg cbg

Can some please help trying tune my 3 string guitar to GDG I can tune d ok and high g ok but the low string (A) I am having difficulty with what am I doing wrong It is very slack i can tune to A ok do I just keep tightening till I get to G This is my first CBG any help would be appreciated

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A simple method i used to use for this problem was to tension the string until it stopped being slack and rang out a clear tone, from that point you should be just 1 or 2 steps from the intended note for that string

• My tuner doesn't show octaves and because I have tin ears (I have cochlear implants), I sometimes can't tell which octave I'm hearing. To avoid breaking strings, when stringing up I start by using a smartphone tuner (I use Da Tuner on Android), which does show the octave. For GDG, low G should be G2, D should be D3 and high G should be G3. From then on I use the electronic tuner in chromatic mode.

• Gottcha. Looks like you'll need to invest in a better tuner or keep using the Andriod tuner. My son in law uses the Andriod, but it can be off a bit for some strings sometimes.

• The tuner I use is in a BossME-30 effects unit
      Thanks for the advice
    • The good about multiple effect units is a lot of effects for the money.

The bad about multiple effect units is some of those will be the lesser of said effects.

Occasionally you'll get a unit that has great effect packaged together, but they can be far out of reach and few to choose from.

Can't really suggest a good electronic tuner for you because I don't use them or need them and the last time I owned one was back in the 80's. Tech has come a long way since then.

Hope you find something suitable soon. Some 6 string guitar tuners aren't calibrated for multiple octave notes other than the E/e notes, so one suitable for a 12 string guitar may be needed.

• Thanks for the help i have tuned my CBg high g to the g string on my acoustic guitar and the d to d on acoustic then tried to tune low g to high g on my cbg is that right
    Sorry if i sound a daft but new this type of guitar but love the sound of them and thy
    Look a lot of fun to play
    • A string down to G will be 1 octave lower than the G string on your acoustic.

• The G your trying to get would the low E string on your acoustic at the 3rd fret.

• At long last think I've got it tuned to low E 3rd fret on my 6 string guitar both sound the same can not understand why tuner says A on cbg
      Thanks for your support and patience
    • maybe the battery is low or your just a little sharp.

This reply was deleted.