Hi,

i bought a cigar box guitar and iv read it can be fitted with top 4 strings from a standard guitar. iv done this but am finding it impossible to tune! iv used my tuner and tuned to E, A, D, G  and it sounds terrible as soon as i play a chord. i also tried tuning top string to E and then tuned string to string by ear as i would on my guitar, still sounds awful!

any one have any ideas?

thanks

Views: 1379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

he makes cbg on regualar basis, im surprised he hasnt noticed this problem. iv messaged him about it but im happy to repair myself, good practice if i want to try my own build sometime...

Absolutly Craig, should be an easy fix for ya. You may have to get a different tailpiece as was mentioned before but it will all fit after that is done and play just fine. Have you noticed on his other builds if the 12th fret/saddle placement is off or can you even tell? I tried looking at the other items he has for sale and it says there are none so maybe he is remedying the problem.

if you look at his feedback it links to other cbgs, they appear to have same issue from what i can see.

anyway i have moved bridge and made temporary tailpiece from plywood. it sounded volumes better but still not quite right, so i experimented with bridge position until i could tune strings with tuner and also tune string to string on 5th fret with same result. i had to move bridge further down than equal of nut to 12th fret. it now sounds like a guitar but still not in tune properly! i put the fret board of both my cbg and standard guitar together to compare and the frets are not quite placed the same, some higher, some lower... starting to think the work hasnt been done to reasonable standard. im gonna contact the seller again coz im not after an ornament i want to play the damn thing!

They probably have different scale lengths so the frets will not match. If you double check the 12th fret position and double it to give the scale length then go to the Stewmac fret calculator
http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator
It will give you an idea of where the frets should lie.
To sort out intonation you usually check the open string against the string fretted at the 12th fret and if intonation is good it should be an exact octave higher.  Also if you are aiming to finger pick rather than play slide if you drop the string height at the bridge it will be easier to get the intonation sorted out.  If you plan to play mainly slide intonation isn't a problem as you are not stretching the strings down to the frets.  (Hope this makes sense)

i checked the fret position calculator (20 frets, scale length 632mm) the first few frets looked ok but the further down i got the more out they were, some were 10mm out near the bottom...

open and closed on the 12th fret gives same note but not in tune.

just picked up my standard guitar to strum a few chords it felt like heaven!

The frets should not be off by more than .001". You have a poorly made instrument there, one that probably can't be played (at least, not higher than the first position). I would ask for a refund, but given the distance, that may be difficult to achieve.

I hope you haven't left positive feedback for him yet. And I hope we'll ALL check the seller's feedback before buying an instrument without the opportunity to play it first.

this is his reply when i asked for a refund- "I am sorry but as the description says I don't offer a refund especially after 30 days. Also please remember this not a fender or a gibson guiatr but rather a homemade cigar box guitar made to function in manner that will provide a authentic Delta blues sound. This sound will be somewhat rough and tangy. Keep in mind it is hand made and not the percision instrument you are looking for. Most people buy these instruments to occassionally play and then hang up for a conversation piece. With you being overseas and the time involved as well as shipping I just can't refund you money."
i already left positive feedback! i had checked his other gutairs had recieved praise so thought i was ok, guess i got unlucky here...

You could try opening a paypal dispute via the resolution centre

http://resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

or you could use the bits to put towards one of your own design.

Good luck,

David

After looking at the pics from the ad it appears all the lower frets (towards the neck) are off therefore it will never play correctly. If you look at the fourth pic the space between the last fret and second to last is very close. The next five appear to be spaced exactly the same, will not play right ever. If this guy wants to build wall hangers he had better say that is what they are in his ad, he says they are " All my guitars are hand made and have a nice sound." and "creating a great Delta Blues sound". The last time I checked Delta Blues sound was always in tune. If this Joker won't stand behind what he sells maybe a little CBN feedback is what he needs.

What I would do if it were me and this gent (and I use the term loosely) won't do anything about it. See if you can remove the fret board and install a new fret board with fret makers only and make her into a slide only git. If it appears the fret board will not come off remove the fretwire and skin the fret board with 1/8 oak and make the correct fret markings and use as a slide only git. You will have to raise the nut and saddle a bit.

If the frets are off all the way down moving the bridge around won't help, you need to get rid of the frets this joker has layed out.

iv opened a case on ebay...

if it doesnt work out i will attempt to repair myself as im quite handy. is it possible to buy replacement fretboard with frets on all ready to go?

Good luck with the eBay case.

I doubt you will find a prefretted fingerboard the right width and trying to cut down a board with frets would be hard work (it can be done though Garage Hermit chopped down a strat neck for a 3 stringer http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/new-project-viotar-6?context=user ). It might be worth starting a discussion topic on the Brits are coming group (don't just add a comment as it will be lost quickly) and then those more local to you might be able to point you in the right direction.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Gary O'slide posted videos
44 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Ha, Ha.  Less is more."
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"Sounding good, A.D. Great looking git."
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Thanks Keith ! appreciated !"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Thank you for the comment Doug !appreciated !"
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
2 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ghostbuttons's photo
2 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
2 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Crazed Fandango's photo
2 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
2 hours ago
BrianQ. posted a status
"R.I.P. Dickey Betts, Thanx for the memories!!!"
3 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
"Ever heard of The Godfather of cigarbox guitars? He has a one stop shop store complete with all the…"
3 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->