I read a ton of the old threads about finishing the old boxes. I had just cut a 3" hole out of an old box for the 3" speaker and I thought, hey, I can do the test. Here it is:

The circle has 3 coats of tung oil, applied with a paper towel in probably 50 degree basement chill and left to sit about 24 hours per coat.

I do like the look but just in case you were wondering, there you are!

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Also keep in mind that older/drier wood will soak up a lot of the oil and make the wood dark in color. If you want to keep the wood the same color, use spray on clear.

• I love using Tung Oil or Tru-oil(for gunstocks). It will add a amber tint, but the Tung Oil is a tad lighter.

Multiple thin coats with a few hours drying time between coats is best. The best way to apply that I've found, is using a cheap hard texture paper towel. It keeps any streaking to a minimum and you throw them away after.

Remember that if you leave any of this stuff on a rag or paper towel in the sun, it can flame up on you.

• Hey, thanks Paul. You defiantly lose the antique look but it might last another 50 years with the extra protection. I think in most cases I'd go with the tung oil.

This reply was deleted.