just bought this,EVEREADY SKY QUEEN valve/tube radio, going to try and turn it into a guitar amp, never worked with valve's before so there'll be lot's of question's, started unsoldering everything at the moment,

Views: 7892

Replies to This Discussion

that amp looks really good fella, well done.

hum

your earth bus may well be giving you problems with noise.

for my earth bus order i pretty much follow the signal from input to power supply. take a look at the schematic (not the layout), and earth the points in order from left to right on the schematic.  ie. input jack, 5meg res., 1/3/5 on the 6sj7, volume control, cathode res/cap for 6v6, then 3 power supply caps, then to a screw on the power transformer mount to chessis.  this keeps the noisy and high current parts of the circuit away from the input circuitry.  (remember, any noise induced into the front of the amp gets amplified, noise at the tail end not so important as you have a bigger signal to compete with it).

some folks use a probably better system, which runs the bus as listed above, but stops before the filter caps.  so all the signal earths are on the bus bar which goes to the trans. screw on the the chassis, then the filter caps are earthed in order on their own bus which goes to the chassis earth point of the HT centre-tap.

i don't tend to use a star-ground system, though lots of folks swear by it, i don't know that its necessary in a 4W amp.

that being said, it looks like you haven't used a chassis at all in the new cabinet, so have no shielding for the amp at all? the standard earthed chassis system goes a long way to keeping out the hum of the world.

you could perhaps, start with stick-on shielding (like under a fender pickguard) on the timber panels under the tagboard and valve panel - and earth that.  aluminium flashing might suit - just make sure it cant lift up and touch anything live.

i would run a shielded lead to your volume pot too.  a shielded stereo cable works well from the pot, with one colour from the preamp, one colour to the 6v6, and the shield to the earth on the right section of the bus bar.

glad to hear there's no voltage on the speaker anymore.

and that g15 is a great find. now you need to build a Vibroverb to put it in! lucky you're coming out of winter so you can keep up with your shed projects.

cheers

e

thank's eric for that detailed answer, i'll do the change's to the earthing asap, i've some aluminium tape i could use to sheild it too, not bragging but i've 2 of the G15's, bought them a few year's ago for no particular reason, i just thought they looked good, and would come in for something one day, as you do, i'll have to look up a vibroverb to see what it is, if it's not too complicated, i'll have a go,
yes, the weather's picking up a bit here, i dont have to pour boiling water on the lock's on the garage to get them to work now,
thanks paul.

the blackface viboverb is famous as the stevie ray vaughn amp.  it came first with 2 x 10" speakers, then a single 15". SRV's were seriously modded, and there's heaps of stuff on the net about them.

not really a simple amp build, but you gotta aim high!

i think marshall used the g15 in some of their PAs?

e

well, messed about with it for a bit, still got some hum, so i've gutted it and decided to use the s/s chassis that was in it,  made a smaller tag board to fit, and moved the OT transformer to get everything to fit,

going to do the same with the bigger cab s/s chassis too, but on that one the transformer i'm using has no 5v output, so i'll use diode's for rectification,

bought some hole punche's too, make's doing the valve base hole's a lot easier,

that "vibroverb" look's a little bit too busy for me, at the moment,

here's the grounding system i was thinking of using, can you see any problem with them,?.

the transformer i'm using has'nt a dedicated CT for the 5v and 6.3v heater's, just the factory hard wired CT  shown in the pic, would i have to use a false CT on both the 5v & 6.3v output's,?,

wow, all change.

your signal ground shouldn't earth to the chassis at the input jack end, only at the other end after the 8uf cap node of the 6v6 screen. 

run the input jack earth straight to the earth bus, not via the volume pot either. 

the volume pot earth should be down the line after the preamp earths, just in front of the cathode resistor and bypass cap for the 6v6.

the speaker doesn't need to be earthed to the bus bar. it can be earthed at the speaker jack straight to the chassis.

i would lift that link between the HT centre tap and one leg of the 6.3v winding.  that earths one side of your filament supply, which will very likely be noisy, as the filament supply would be unbalanced, and things like twisting the filamant wires around each other wouldn't work to cancel any AC hum. 

the HT CT should go straight to earth, not via anything else, unless you are using a zener to drop the voltage a little or putting a standby switch there.

yes, create an artificial CT for the 6.3 supply after you remove that earth link, with a couple of 100ohm resistors.  if heater hum is still a problem, you could float the artificial CT on top of a higher DC voltage by running the joined ends of the 100 ohm resistors to the cathode of the 6V6 rather than to ground. 

don't make an artificial CT for the 5v supply for the rectifier.  with a directly heated tube like the 5y3, the heater has the whole B+ on it too.

check out merlin's site for lots of info.http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/heater.html

e

and aren't chassis punches the best thing ever?

top tip's eric, thank's,

the artificial CT, does it go to pin 8 on the 6V6GT, if floating the CT there is better than just earthing it to the chassis, i might as well do it now while i'm wiring it up,

that valvewizard certianly get's into it, very informative,

i've cut the link out between the HT CT and the 6.3v, wonder why it was like that from the factory,

here's a pic of the revised grounding system, hope i've got it right this time,

yes, still run the the two 100 ohm resistors from either side of the 6.3v winding, and run a wire from where they join together to pin 8 of the 6v6.

some early amp designs ran one leg of the filament supply to the chassis, and then had to run just one filament wire to the valves (earth the valves other filament tab to complete the circuit). it's noisy though, and we would rather have good than cheap!

your earth bus is probably fine, but i would put the volume earth in between the .005 preamp screen cap and the 6v6 cathode bits.

e

well, finished wiring it up, damn hum is still there at anything above 3/4 volume, put the 100 ohm resistor's on to pin 8 of the 6V6, moved the volume earth too, think i'll try another volume pot as this old one i'm using is a bit notchy, does it have to be 1m or could i use a 500 ohm one,?

is the hum 50hz or 100hz?  50 is filament, 100 is from rectified B+ supply.

i imagine that your 15" speaker would happily go down to 50Hz, a smaller 6" may not.  does the hum go away with as smaller speaker?

input jack isolated from the chassis? best to insulate it.

earth bus line earthing at one point on chassis, filter caps and CT at another? this is also best.

some layouts around the net had the OT feeding from the first filter cap, which is wrong, so check that yours comes from the second powersupply node, and the screen (6v6 pin4) from the third node.

are your transformers orientated at 90deg to each other, if not hum can be induced in the OT.

many people use a choke to filter the power supply in this amp to help with hum problems.

have you tried changing valves?

and hopefully you have not put in the 'death cap' that is in the schematic.  that's the .05 on the AC side of the PT.  you have an earthed mains, and don't need it.

e

hard for me to tell if it's 50 or 100hz,

big and little speaker's hum,

i've insulated the input jack,

earth bus one point earth, filter cap's and CT at another,

OT feed's correct,

transformer's at 90 to each other,

i have a few choke's, what value woud i need,?

changed valve's, still hum's,

no death cap,

what i've found is the wire from the 6V6 pin 5 to the volume pot is the one making the hum, swapped it for a screened one, still hum's, if i move it about i can reduce the hum, but it end's up in a unuseable position,

any more thought's ?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Ruby Amp

Started by BrianQ.. Last reply by BrianQ. May 18, 2020. 6 Replies

Smokin' amp (literally)

Started by James Conder. Last reply by James Conder Aug 27, 2019. 4 Replies

Simple Headphone/Practice Amp

Started by BrianQ. May 16, 2019. 0 Replies

Problem with second-hand amp.

Started by Arthur Payne Mar 31, 2019. 0 Replies

Artec Amp Help!

Started by Jesse Lively Sep 10, 2017. 0 Replies

LM386 N-4

Started by Denis U. Last reply by Richard Haas Dec 3, 2016. 4 Replies

History Mystery--Orrtronic Tube Amplifier project

Started by Scott aka Farmer Ted Nov 17, 2016. 0 Replies

Dual IM386 Chip amp

Started by Paul Craig. Last reply by Paul Craig Nov 3, 2016. 31 Replies

Amp Speakers

Started by Primitive Acoustics. Last reply by Primitive Acoustics Mar 9, 2016. 3 Replies

Grounding for Cigar Box Amps: Chassis Ground?

Started by Erik Bell. Last reply by Scott aka Farmer Ted Dec 20, 2015. 4 Replies

Neat amp components

Started by Surly. Last reply by Alan Steeg Oct 27, 2015. 1 Reply

can a dab radio be turned into an amp

Started by Coventry Halfpenny guitars. Last reply by Pickedmoor Jon Oct 20, 2015. 3 Replies

SDA-T Questions

Started by alectron. Last reply by Zac Ray Sep 2, 2015. 10 Replies

HI - New guy & And speaker question

Started by Henry S. Last reply by Henry S Mar 25, 2015. 4 Replies

Are Pre-fabbed LM386 Moduals Worth Trying?

Started by Scott W. Last reply by Henry S Mar 24, 2015. 6 Replies

Powered sub to amp ??

Started by wormil. Last reply by wormil Sep 2, 2014. 2 Replies

Amp and speaker INSIDE the guitar?

Started by Greg Potts. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague Jul 1, 2014. 1 Reply

trying to hack an old valve radio, into a guitar amp,

Started by GARAGE HERMIT. Last reply by GARAGE HERMIT Apr 29, 2014. 108 Replies

Best mini amp KITS

Started by MichaelS Country Boy Guitars. Last reply by Henrik Johansson Mar 10, 2014. 34 Replies

amp wiring help

Started by HarleyTodd. Last reply by Bernie Mango Feb 26, 2014. 18 Replies

Latest Activity

Dar Stellabotta commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Thanks everyone! Yes it is inspiring to own other cigar box guitar builders creations. I have many…"
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
"Nice one Korigan !  The Vinger Slascher ?"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Head Slingers "The Steady Crew " Right On !"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"crunch Rocking DAR ! nice kit ! jangling julery! Slash Dar Johnson!! now on stage !!"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

The Robert Johnson fight whit the devil, and there he was , standing on the Crossroads, waiting to meet the Guy that was going to change his way's, did he w...
8 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Southern Ray's discussion AI Search Query - Curious Answer
" That's what I  thought!"
8 hours ago
Sam Beavers left a comment for BrianQ.
"Thanks Brian !!"
8 hours ago
AGP # liked David Hopkins's photo
14 hours ago
14 hours ago
14 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->