Replies

• Hi, that's ok, that's what this site is about, sharing. What style of rod did you settle on?
    Taff

• I have decided to adjust at the nut. I went with a dual action rod.

• Hi, there are four or five or more different reinforcing methods/materials that can be used in a neck, and advising you what to use is hard, as Brian has mentioned already there are a few factors that would guide your decision.
    If I was to tell you what rod I would use it could be misleading without any whys and wherefores. The types…

• Good neck wood, grain orientation, and fingerboard material is a good start. Traditionally classical nylon guitars do not have a truss rod in the neck.
    • Depending on the number of strings I have used a simple hardwood bar inserted into a neck
    • Simple carbon fiber bars can be used in the same manner.
    • Solid metal bar sized to suit the number of strings. In my early 6 stringers, I used ¼” x ½” flat bar.
    • Single rod, fixed on one end and a nut on the other. Needs to be fitted into a curve in the neck. Works one way
    • Single rod in aluminum U channel. Installed flat. Works one way.
    • Two-rod system, one end welded Works one way
    • Two-way system, the rod is welded on both ends using a rod and a flat bar combination. Moves neck up or down.

I’ll leave you to decide which end to put the adjusting nut, peghead or heal, and what type of nut you want. I fit my rods in different ways in the neck. But as a guide only… adjusting at the heal end {inside the body] start the rod at around the first fret.

If adjusting at the peghead start your rod about 2” from the heel end. How deep into the neck I suppose it will depend on neck dimensions. But I cover my rod with a timber fillet and then the fingerboard.
    Now you have the basics you can plan your own best method.
    Good luck Taff

• Thank, this is very useful and now I know how to calculate a good length for the rod!

• Now I have ordered a 380mm truss rod as I will adjust at the nut.

• If you want adequate answers, then you’ll have to include some more info? Scale length, number of strings, wood type, Etc. Otherwise, it’s a shot in the dark & you’ll get conflicting information? 

• I will have 4 strings and I have planned to use a scale length somewhere between 600mm and 630mm and at least 19 frets, maybe even 20 frets.

I am looking at ebay and there seems to be some standard lengths for truss rods.

• Have you tried searching the site for info? The Search box is located at the top right of the page? 

This reply was deleted.