Tone control only?

Ive seen the diagram for tone and volume pots on a single pickup that's been posted here a few times, and I'm wondering would it be as simple as just removing the volume pot from the schematic to have just a single tone control on the guitar? Or does the tone pot depend somehow on the existence of the volume pot in line before it to work? I figure volume control at the amp is fine, set it and leave it mostly, but it would be nice to have tone control at hand. Also, would removing that pot help avoid the need for a preamp by cutting down on resistance in the line? Thanks

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• if it is a concern for you. then 1meg pots are always avalible. but i dont see a problem with 250k or 500k pots. also i have seen people use a toggle switch but they knew it was all or nothing.
  • Bull Dogg said:
    Thanks for the replies, that's just what I needed. I suppose your right about the volume, I could add it just in case, but will the added resistance of another pot effect the need for a preamp? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Shouldn't be a problem -- if you have the volume pot turned all the way up, you have effectively cut is resistance to zero.
  • Thanks for the replies, that's just what I needed. I suppose your right about the volume, I could add it just in case, but will the added resistance of another pot effect the need for a preamp? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

Tim said:
    it will work just fine but most players find it nice to be able to down the volume right there at hand. its always nice when jaming to just roll of the volume if a conversation starts up.
  • it will work just fine but most players find it nice to be able to down the volume right there at hand. its always nice when jaming to just roll of the volume if a conversation starts up.
  • use a .047 capacitor
    Brent Shull said:
    there u go that should do it, just connect wires to piezo or whatever

Brent Shull said:
    there you go, that should do it

Brent Shull said:

• there u go that should do it, just connect wires to piezo or whatever
    Brent Shull said:
    there you go, that should do it

Brent Shull said:

• there you go, that should do it
    Brent Shull said: